FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame by frame player

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Low
Frame by frame player
on May 14, 2009 at 10:32:20 am

I'm looking for a software player that will allow one to step through a video, frame by frame, ideally using the keyboard.

Quicktime can, and always has been able to do this with with pretty well any clip you throw at it, using the left and right cursor keys. I simply can't believe it's the only player out there with this very basic and very useful functionality.

There is a way of turning on a couple of anonymous looking buttons in Windows media player that supposedly allow it, but in practice they do nothing with most of the file types I try them with and there's no keyboard short cut for these buttons either.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: Frame by frame player
on May 14, 2009 at 9:36:01 pm

Try Blackmagic's Media Express. You can get it by downloading the basic Intensity Drivers and doing a full install of them. If you don't have the hardware it doesn't install the drivers, just the codecs and little extras like the Media Express player.

I believe they have both Mac and PC versions. It will load and play .avi, .mov, and .wmv videos for sure. It steps frame by frame though any of those 3 for sure.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 14, 2009 at 9:40:08 pm

Thanks Chris.

It looks like you need a valid Blackmagic serial number to download this?

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on May 14, 2009 at 10:26:46 pm

Nope...just hit the "download now" button. I thought that too. It works without even inputting any info!

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 14, 2009 at 10:37:30 pm

Nice one!

That works.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 20, 2009 at 10:30:10 am

Sadly this can't open MP4 files and crashes with WMV files and I couldn't find any frame by frame controls :-(

I expected better from BM!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]