FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will Apple EVER fix compressor 3

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
Will Apple EVER fix compressor 3
on May 13, 2009 at 4:05:16 am

I have been fighting for months to get compressor to work on my G5. Apple won't do anything and I have tried comp repair, and a full reinstall if FCP2. It always wants me to restart my computer. I even used that paper on apple on how to take out files and reload compressor. Some of the files that I have to take out aren't there. You would think after 3 installs, I could get the damn thing to work.

I am very frustrated. I have to use compressor on my G4 and it is slow. Plus I have to export and transfer files. I just want to send things to compressor and save disk space.

I am at a loss. I have tried all the tricks on this forum and the apple community. The only question I have left is, is Apple going to patch this or just let those of us who have spent over 15K and helped them sell more MACs just wither and die? I talk to so many people that can't use compressor, even at production house I work at. The use Sorensen. I wished I could afford squeeze.

Yes this is somewhat of a venting post. There is no email support for this on apples website. The only take questions on Iphone, Ipod and one other piece of hardware.

Anyway, I can't work on freelance projects with this buggy piece of software. Compressor 2 worked fine and it was faster.

G5 2GHzPPC, 4GB Ram, 10.4.11

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Will Apple EVER fix compressor 3
on May 13, 2009 at 9:11:20 am

Couple of things:

Have you tried a complete fresh system re-install, not simply an archive and install?

Have you thought of updating to Leopard? If not why not?

How did you buy compressor/FCS? Was it on online or though a reseller?

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on May 13, 2009 at 6:33:36 pm

I am thinking about a complete re-wipe and install, but I can't have the G5 down for any amount of time for the next two weeks.

I don't want to go up to leopard until I buy a new MAC. I would have to upgrade Pro toos and other apps, and even though I have work right now, I can't afford an extra 1000 bucks on software. I need to put it into hardware and I would be closer to a new mac anyway.

I bought FCP2 though mega macs...I can't get any help there.

I appreciate your help, but the app shouldn't be this buggy, even after two years out.

Again I went into my library folder to see if I could rip out files (via the white paper apple put out to fix the app) and the second file wasn't even there.

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 13, 2009 at 9:48:38 pm

[Nelson May] "I am thinking about a complete re-wipe and install, but I can't have the G5 down for any amount of time for the next two weeks. "

A complete fresh reinstall shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, in my mind that's a very sound investment

[Nelson May] "I appreciate your help, but the app shouldn't be this buggy, even after two years out. "

There are many thousands of people who don't have any issues with compressor yet use it daily as a production tool. The number of people who are having problems is relatively small, those with as serious issues as yours find that a reinstall of the the OS, as suggested, fixes things for good.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 16, 2009 at 10:39:17 pm

I will argue that this is another reason that Apple really should at the very least consider writing a complete uninstall and have options to uninstall back to a certain version. As we upgrade it seems new files are created and the old once still remain. This would be a pretty simple utility to write since they know where the files are.

Nelson has obviously tried to remove some files etc in an experimental way and that can certainly break things. But I have also had success doing this very thing.

Also, I have to say that my ideal encoding workstation has the following:

Quicktime Pro
MPEG Streamclip
Compressor
Episode
Flip4Mac
Handbrake
Wimpy Flash Player
Toast Titanium with BluRay plug in

Did you know that Toast Titanium comes with a video player that can play a bunch of files that other apps can't and the Wimpy player is second to none in checking an FLV movie.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]