FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV to DV using compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Pyatt
HDV to DV using compressor
on May 8, 2009 at 2:08:16 pm

Hi,

I am trying to convert HDV 60i to DV NTSC Anamorphic using Compressor to get the best results for editing in a DV NTSC Anamorphic sequence.

So in Compressor I choose the DV NTSC Anamorphic setting from Apple: Other workflows: Advanced Format Conversions: Standard Definition format.

I would then like to modify this preset to give me the best results:

Encoder tab:
Video Settings: Apple ProRes 422, Interlaced but Top or Bottom field first? Leave chroma filtering unticked?

Frame controls tab:
Frame controls: On
Resize filter: Best
Output fields: ??? (seems to be the same as the interlaced option in Video settings)
Deinterlace: ??? (I don't want to deinterlace)
Adaptive Details: Ticked

Retiming Control:
Rate Conversion: Best
Set Duration to: so source frames play at 29.97

Note I am using a Mac Pro - OS 10.5.6, Final Cut Pro 6.05, Compressor 3.05.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: HDV to DV using compressor
on May 8, 2009 at 2:12:44 pm

[Brendan Pyatt] "Encoder tab:
Video Settings: Apple ProRes 422, Interlaced but Top or Bottom field first? Leave chroma filtering unticked?"

Why are you going to ProRes? - You'll be colour subsampling from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 and finally 4:1:1 - best avoided.

As soon as you drop it into the DV sequence, it'll need rendering, are you doing some complex compositing or something?

Otherwise you'll want the field order to be bottom field first.

Return to posts index

Brendan Pyatt
on May 8, 2009 at 2:38:30 pm

Thanks. Nothing complicated but the sequence is a mix of HDV and SD clips.

What codec do you recommend? I thought Prores was a good codec to be working in.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 8, 2009 at 2:53:13 pm

Why not just go straight to the DV codec?

Return to posts index

Brendan Pyatt
on May 8, 2009 at 3:23:33 pm

Well I am not sure! I have most success sending clips to and from Color in Prores I have tended to work in Prores whenever I can.

I have tried many different codecs / settings in compressor to convert HDV60i to DV NTSC but always the results appears worse that allowing FCP to do the re-scale in the timeline. Everything I have read says that I should be able to get better results in Compressor and indeed I have been able to convert with compressor to DV NTSC (prores codec) and get something that looks excellent in Quicktime but rubbish when imported into FCP (jagged edges on man made objects).

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 8, 2009 at 4:07:12 pm

[Brendan Pyatt] "Well I am not sure! I have most success sending clips to and from Color in Prores I have tended to work in Prores whenever I can"

Yes, I'd agree, if you are working in color then stick with ProRes

[Brendan Pyatt] "I have tried many different codecs / settings in compressor to convert HDV60i to DV NTSC but always the results appears worse that allowing FCP to do the re-scale in the timeline"

[Brendan Pyatt] "Everything I have read says that I should be able to get better results in Compressor and indeed I have been able to convert with compressor to DV NTSC (prores codec) and get something that looks excellent in Quicktime but rubbish when imported into FCP (jagged edges on man made objects)."

Using FCP to downconvert is certainly a tried and trusted workflow.

You seem to be confused about DV NTSC however. DV is a format and a codec that has nothing to do with ProRes. ProRes can be at the same frame size as DV but that's all they have in common in this instance, so saying "DV NTSC (prores codec)" simple does not make sense. You can say DV NTSC or SD ProRes

If it looks great in Quicktime and rubbish in FCP then you have got some settings incorrect in FCP. FCP is Quicktime and is based entirley on it. So check your sequence and preview settings.

Return to posts index

Brendan Pyatt
on May 8, 2009 at 4:43:55 pm

Thanks for your patience.

I will stick with Prores and downconvert in FCP timeline.

'You seem to be confused about DV NTSC however.' Thanks for the clarification I meant SD Prores but expressed it incorrectly.

I thought FCP was based on Quicktime and that is why i was checking the output from Compressor in quicktime. I have checked my FCP setup and I do appear to be producing a clip from Compressor that looks fine in QT but bad in FCP - even if I let the clip over-ride the sequence settings...

Return to posts index

Ryan Spanger
on May 11, 2009 at 6:56:24 am

Try exporting direct from the FCP sequence and set your sequence to uncompressed. This should yield a higher quality result.

Ryan Spanger
Web Video Melbourne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]