FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor and Anti-aliasing

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Geoffroy
Compressor and Anti-aliasing
on May 5, 2009 at 4:22:28 pm

Hi

I'm very new to the whole process of encoding and I come across a seriously bugging situation. I have a bunch of animations (720x480, non-square pixels) to encode to Mpeg2 and to burn to DVD. I use FCP and Dvd Studio Pro as well as Compressor.

The videos are .Mov with codec Animation. Some of them have vectors, diagonal lines and they look beautiful viewed with quicktime. The anti-aliasing is great. But when encode using Compressor, the lines get all jigged and look like stairs. It looks bad, real bad.

I tried many things including changing the Control image settings and the Geometry settings (anti-aliasing, filters, deinterlace...etc.) I made about 25 different tests and its either worse or not better....
What I find strange is the pixel ratio of 1,125. Why not a rectangular pixel ratio of 0,90 or device aspect ratio of 1,2 as I suppose its suppose to be. I would gladly change the pixel ratio manualy but It won't let me unless I make a Mpeg4. Even with making a mpg4, pixel ratio didn't change a thing.

So what I ended up doing is using DVD Studio Pro to encode and it worked fine. Unfortunately its not an option for me to encode via DVD S.P. because... well I won't get into it but I can,t. I need to go from FCP to Compressor to DVD Studio Pro

Why can't Compressor do the job. I've done the tests on 2 different machines and I get same result.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressor and Anti-aliasing
on May 5, 2009 at 5:13:19 pm

[Patrick Geoffroy] "The videos are .Mov with codec Animation."
Is the file progressive or interlace? If they're animations I'd guess progressive but you really need to provide all the information as per "How to get fastest compression help" note above the forum.

[Patrick Geoffroy] "So what I ended up doing is using DVD Studio Pro to encode and it worked fine."

DVD Studio Pro and Compressor use the EXACT same compression engine. If you can encode in DVDSP but Compressor looks bad its almost for sure a settings issue.

[Patrick Geoffroy] "I tried many things including changing the Control image settings and the Geometry settings (anti-aliasing, filters, deinterlace...etc.) "

If you don't tell us specifics all we can do is guess. Again if DVDSP can do a good encode and Compressor doesn't, it's likely a settings issue.

You might start with Compressor DVD Best Quality preset and report what you see and what you're using to view the file. At least we'd all be on the same page.

Return to posts index

Patrick Geoffroy
on May 5, 2009 at 5:51:45 pm

Thank you for quickly replying.

Yes the videos are progressive. Instead of going through all the different settings I've tried, I'll just ask you a question. Is the m2v file I look at with quicktime, encoded with compressor, suppose to look exactly the same as the quicktime movie or is there a loss of quality during encoding even if I was encoding with the best possible settings? Or its normal that the m2v isn't great because its meant to be look at from a TV?

In other terms, do I have to burn the mpg2 to DVD and watch it on Tv to get the true image or can I watch this mv2 file through quicktime (changing its pixel ratio to square) and get know exactly what I'm gonna get?

Return to posts index

Patrick Geoffroy
on May 5, 2009 at 6:49:23 pm

I really have to look deeper into the settings of my 2 most recent computers, especially the Compressor settings because I've tried the same process with my G5, Optimal DVD Quality 90 min with no change in settings and it looks way better on DVD.

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]