FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Tips

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Blin
Compressor Tips
on May 5, 2009 at 7:14:06 am

Hi Friends, could you please direct me to some tips about optimizing encoder settings in Compressor?

I'm getting some artifacting with my encodes--horizontal lines in complex or blurred frames--a kind of "grill" pattern. I know this can never be completely eliminated but I've seen hardware encodes of some of the same material so I know it can be improved. (I also know hardware encoding is superior for complex material).

I'm mastering DVDs in SD--never more than 45 minute of material, so I'm using fairly high data rates.

My source Quicktimes are ProRes HQ 720 x 486. I do not know if they are upper or lower field first. Is that important? I can easily redo them, but what is the optimum setting in my Aja Kona card when capturing--Upper or Lower?

Also: In Compressor, should I utilize the Frame Controls Menu or the Geometry Menu?

In Compressor: there is also the option to designate field order. What should I do in Compressor with field order? Its so confusing when there's three chances to designate or switch field order: in the AJA card, in Compressor and in DVD SP.

In general, I have difficulty with 486 material. When I output of the Avid with the DV Codec, it always seems to look good. I must be doing something wrong in the way I'm cropping or scaling the vertical resolution.

Thanks Friends,

Paul

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor Tips
on May 5, 2009 at 4:03:07 pm

Check this this thread, especially the last post:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/871887

Check what version of the driver software you have.

It's always best not to switch field order unless the output format is the opposite order from your source format. What source format are you capturing from?

Return to posts index

Paul Blin
on May 5, 2009 at 7:38:23 pm

Thanks for your interest--I'll check out that link.

I'm capturing from Digi Beta. I can set the field dominance in the AJA card, but I get conflicting opinions about whether to select upper and lower.

I also have some uncompressed QT files and those are my masters. don't know the field dominance of those files and don't know how to find it out.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 5, 2009 at 10:32:04 pm

Digi Beta is lower field first. compressor should be able to detect the field dominance/order of your Quicktime clips

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]