FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cleaner 6.5.1 & DGFastchannel

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Tessmer
Cleaner 6.5.1 & DGFastchannel
on Apr 23, 2009 at 8:47:49 pm

I only have access to Cleaner 6.5.1 and Apple Compressor 3.0.5. We've signed up for DGFastchannel and have a drop box setup and set to start the certification process. I've read here on the "Cow" that Compressor cannot meet the DG specs. So I'm stuck with Cleaner 6.5.1 to use. I've made a preset and started compressing my test spot and have had some issue. When I look at the test it's nothing but white with no audio. Does anyone have a setting for DGFastchannel using Cleaner 6.5.1?

Here is what I'm working with:
2x3Ghz Quad-Core Mac
8GB Ram
Final Cut Studio 2
Xsan 2.0

Using another compression software is not an option. Money is tight and we could use those funds on other software that would get more use.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Cleaner 6.5.1 & DGFastchannel
on Apr 23, 2009 at 9:17:36 pm

I'm sure Craig will confirm, but I seriously doubt if cleaner is capable, it's so very much out of date (3 years since the last, very minor, update), shame on Autodesk!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2009 at 9:23:02 pm

Cleaner hasn't been updated in so long I wouldn't consider it a viable product.

If you're delivering spots for broadcast it's really worth it to get something like Telestream Episode. Some people might have had success with Squeeze although I don't think it can do the Vertical Interval Blanking spec DG has asked for (maybe they don't require it anymore).

I'd be surprised if anybody is doing DG with Cleaner.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 24, 2009 at 1:51:32 pm

I agree. We do use Cleaner still for various projects, but definately NOT any MPEG-2 encoding. If you invest in Episode for encoding you will not be disappointed at all. It actually rocks. I am using watch folders all the time now and I have my DG settings tweaked so it is a no brainer. It is one accomplished program.

Cleaner is still fine for certain batches, but I am sure that Episode will slowly be replacing it.

Thanks Craig for the DG presets.

Now, get out your credit card!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Jason Tessmer
on Apr 28, 2009 at 1:05:37 pm

**** UPDATE ****

Cleaner 6.5.1 will work! I had only one spot that failed when I tried to get certified but it wasn't cause of the compression. It had an audio issue from the studio. I just used a different spot in place of the one. Cleaner may not be the best software to use because it so old but it will work if you have nothing else at the time.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 28, 2009 at 1:00:12 pm

I am honestly shocked to the core.

There's life in the old dog yet!

Be back later, I have a few hats to eat!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 29, 2009 at 6:49:42 pm

It seems that on Mac, only Episode supports 720x512 Vertical Blanking Interval but DGFastchannel also is willing to make exceptions for those with programs that don't support that. They still prefer 720x512 though.

I guess the Internet SuperHighway won't ban the Ford Model T as long as it can still stay on the road.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]