FORUMS: list search recent posts

looks okay in compressor, squished in quicktime

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ericsson Chu
looks okay in compressor, squished in quicktime
on Apr 19, 2009 at 10:24:49 am

couple of questions. I've been taking clips off of a dvd using cinematize pro... I have to do this because the client is not in possession of the master copies.

Anyhow, my first question is what codec should I use to extract? I need the file to be in a quicktime container, but I can extract using dv ntsc, prores, uncompressed, etc. I'm assuming extracting uncompressed from a dvd would be similar to extracting lossless from a mp3 audio cd... or am I wrong?

Next, some of my files are coming out looking real squished in quicktime, but when I bring them into cinema tools or compressor the preview looks the way it ought to. Is their a quick fix to this? I'm guessing quicktime is just interpreting the footage incorrectly?

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: looks okay in compressor, squished in quicktime
on Apr 19, 2009 at 7:24:54 pm

[Ericsson Chu] "Anyhow, my first question is what codec should I use to extract? I need the file to be in a quicktime container, but I can extract using dv ntsc, prores, uncompressed, etc."

Compressing an already heavily compressed file to another compressed format will do additional damage. If you can handle going to uncompressed, while it won't make the source look any better, it'll prevent it from getting worse.

[Ericsson Chu] "Next, some of my files are coming out looking real squished in quicktime, but when I bring them into cinema tools or compressor the preview looks the way it ought to. Is their a quick fix to this? I'm guessing quicktime is just interpreting the footage incorrectly? "
I've actually noticed that different versions of Quicktime handled these issues differently (7.3.x, 7.4.x, etc).

How you handle depends on what your source aspect ratio (and pixel aspect ratio) is.
You need to tell us what your source is/are and their aspect ratios.
It can be as simple as a quick fix in Quicktime or it may be a compression setting but we won't know unless you tell us.

You might want to read the post at the top of this forum that says PLEASE READ. You might have had your answer already if you had provided us with the information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]