FORUMS: list search recent posts

Craig Seeman and DG Encore Settings

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Craig Seeman and DG Encore Settings
on Apr 18, 2009 at 1:46:37 am

Hi Chris...thanks again for providing the Encore settings for DG fastchannel. In the setting you sent the pixel aspect was 1:1 and my first test files got kicked out. Changed it to 4:3 and all was well.

FYI.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Craig Seeman and DG Encore Settings
on Apr 18, 2009 at 3:09:41 am

[Rich Rubasch] "pixel aspect was 1:1"
1:1 actually means no change. There shouldn't be since this is for broadcast. In other words if your source is 720x486 or 720x480 it should stay that way (plus VBI to 512) and that's what 1:1 is. It's wrongly called "square pixels" IMHO.

from the manual

"Display aspect ratio
The Display aspect ratio menu makes it possible to create stretched widescreen anamorphic material. To do this you encode your clip at the usual size, for example PAL (720x576) or NTSC (720x480). Then select the desired display aspect ratio. When viewing the clip, the player will stretch the image to the selected aspect ratio. Selecting Same as Input will use whatever display aspect ratio has been indicated in the source material."

Basically you can use Same as Input or 1:1 since you don't want to stretch or otherwise change the shape of the pixels assuming you started with a "broadcast" (TV) pixel aspect ratio. You don't want to "stretch" it to 4x3 unless for some reason it isn't to begin with.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 19, 2009 at 2:32:15 am

Could be, but once I changed the preset to 4:3 my clips passed.

Perhaps could have stayed same as source as well.

FYI,

Rich

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 20, 2009 at 9:33:49 pm

At this point I've probably sent my settings to over 100 people. Just heard back from the latest that using 1:1 fixed his issue.

There must have been something "different" about your source or maybe DG just bumped into a QC issue on their end.

You shouldn't have to force 4:3. Your source wouldn't have been been 640x480 maybe or maybe something created in graphics application that Episode saw as "different?"

I'm just wondering if Episode is having an issue interpreting a specific source that it doesn't encounter that often.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]