FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing for Windows

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Olyarnyk
Compressing for Windows
on Apr 17, 2009 at 7:10:22 pm

I have a client who wants to have a copy of a commercial for approval in windows format. I'm following the compression instructions I've found online, of using compressor, making a custom setting for windows. But the hang up I'm hitting is when I compress it, no matter where I set my in and out points in final cut pro, I only end up with half of my video compressed. It stops right in the middle of the commercial. Is there something I'm missing here?

If anyone has any advice that would be great.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressing for Windows
on Apr 17, 2009 at 7:15:17 pm

Flip4Mac demo. You need to buy it (Flip4Mac Studio, Studio Pro, Studio Pro HD) to get full export.

Return to posts index

Jeff Olyarnyk
on Apr 17, 2009 at 7:03:04 pm

I have downloaded the free flip4mac a while ago.

So what you're saying is that there's no way to export a file from Final Cut Pro into a Windows Media Video file without buying this product's full version?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Craig Seeman
on Apr 17, 2009 at 7:28:21 pm

[Jeff Olyarnyk] "So what you're saying is that there's no way to export a file from Final Cut Pro into a Windows Media Video file without buying this product's full version?"

Well you could buy Telestream Episode which also comes with a Compressor plugin. There's Squeeze (no plugin). DVKitchen which only does WMV8 which is not something I'd recommend at all. Find an old (discontinued by developer) copy of VisualHub which also only does WMV8. Buy Windows OS and run from Bootcamp or buy Parallels or VMWare Fusion and use the free Windows Media Encoder if the source file can be used on Windows.

Flip4Mac is the best bang for the buck though. If you can live with 1 pass presets Flip4Mac Studio is $49.

You want to do WMV you need to buy something that helps you encode to WMV.
You could tell your client to download Quicktime 7.
You could send them an ugly MPEG1.

You could create a private link (password protected) which can be very high quality on Vimeo if they can play Flash. That would be free.

Return to posts index

Jeff Olyarnyk
on Apr 17, 2009 at 7:43:23 pm

K, thanks for the help. I've told them to just download quicktime because that's the easiest thing to do in this situation, every other client has done it in the past. So hopefully this guy complies and makes life a lot easier on everybody.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 17, 2009 at 7:38:08 pm

[Jeff Olyarnyk] "'ve told them to just download quicktime because that's the easiest thing to do in this situation, every other client has done it in the past."

It really is the easiest solution. I can't imagine anyone in any end of the media business, even if it's just to play approvals for corporate video, unwilling to download the appropriate players.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 19, 2009 at 2:39:14 am

Whoa friggin nelly! You cannot expect anyone in the corporate world to download software and install it on enterprise systems. IT simply doesn't allow it most of the time. If their IT has installed Wind Media Player, then spend the $49 and encode all the WMVs you want. It is a very poor business decision to NOT provide a solution for your clients (meaning you have the solution, not THEY have to go get it!)

This will come up again with another client. Corporate clients want Windows Media even if you think they should just download a player. Are you a professional? Then get the tools that allow you to look like a professional and deliver what they ask for.

Sorry, but asking them to download software is NOT the solution here, and pretty much everyone who has a Mac has QT Pro and Flip4Mac Pro.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Apr 19, 2009 at 4:10:44 pm

We're a completely Windows based advertising, marketing and production company (we started as a production company only in 1996). So I can contribute based on extensive experience working on windows WITH and FOR corporate clients that are almost all exclusively on the windows platform.

Quicktime on windows is quirky at best, downright frustrating at its worst. As Rich points out, many IT departments WILL NOT install any software that's not essential to their company's operation, including media players and especially media players that install as many non-essential services as Quicktime. If you do a full Quicktime install, there are no less than 3 new services that automatically run at startup (I-Tunes helper, Quicktime taskbar launcher, Apple Mobile device driver), and sometimes there are one or two more that will get installed. They're almost impossible to turn off unless you're experienced working with them and understand how to disable services on Windows computers. If you're working in a facility with 100+ computers or more, this is NOT something you want to have to spend the time to do.

Even with Quicktime installed, it's STILL a not a very good app on the Windows platform. It's very finicky about audio drivers and devices, audio often plays out of sync on even relatively new workstation class computers with mutlipe CPU's and several GB of RAM. There are color shifts with several of the codecs, especially Apple's H264, and gamma issues abound across other codecs.

So I would agree that asking your clients to install Quicktime is at best a lazy solution, and at worst, just bad customer service. As a windows based shop, we're asked to output Quicktime files all the time...literally dozens of times each week because we also do a lot of encoding/compression work for clients. It would be like us telling these clients, "just get Flip4Mac, it would be easier on everybody!" For whatever reason, these clients want Quicktime, so that's what we give them. We've spent lots of time and money on software, training and testing to figure out the best way to output Quicktimes as well. And let me tell you, it's not any more fun on the Windows side to output high quality Quicktimes than it is to output WMV's from the Mac. For us it's at least a 2 step process of exporting from our NLE systems, then encoding in a dedicated compression application to Quicktime. Our NLE will output quicktime, but it doesn't do a very good job, is slow, and is prone to crash with the newer Quicktime codecs.

You could get Pro-coder for around $500 and easily output high-quality wmv files. There are also free encoding apps out there that will likely do a decent job of it, just search google and you'll probably find half a dozen.

The last great reason to learn to do this is purely from a business standpoint. It's additional billing! I'd think anybody in this economy would love to add another billable service to their abilities.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: Compressing for Windows-App to do the job
on Apr 20, 2009 at 12:44:51 am

Here's an app that a lot of people recommend for converting quicktimes to .wmv.

http://www.geekmeetsgirl.net/visualhub_tools.php

It's called VisualHub and some colleagues of mine who work in Mac based shops love it. Simple to use and stable according to them. The developer closed his doors last fall but has opened up the source code so it will likely continue to be developed. Any updates can be found on SourceForge under a new name (something like FilmRedux).

There's another app that some users claim will convert .mov to .wmv but their website only mentions AVI. It's called MPEG Streamclip, it's free and can be found here:

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

I downloaded the windows version and it's a nice app considered it costs nothing. The Windows version converts to just about anything from the windows side of things.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Olyarnyk
Re: Compressing for Windows-App to do the job
on Apr 20, 2009 at 12:56:48 am

I sent him an mpeg1, worked fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved