FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Woes

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Watson
Compressor Woes
on Apr 16, 2009 at 8:30:38 pm

Heya, I'm a new Mac convert, and been using final cut for a few months, and love it.

However, I dont think compressor is working right... Anytime I do a send to compressor from final cut, it takes an extremely long time to compress to h.264 or most other QT formats. If I export a DVD or something, it seems about normal. It does this even with a self inclusive QT file as input.

The FCP settings are DVCpro NTSC. Source files are usually DVCPro NTSC files.

Should consider reinstalling the package or have I missed something? I use to render three different formats on my pc in just a few hours, but this takes much longer...

Ben

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor Woes
on Apr 16, 2009 at 11:37:22 pm

[Ben Watson] "Anytime I do a send to compressor from final cut, it takes an extremely long time to compress to h.264 or most other QT formats."

What Mac do you have?

What settings are you using (exactly)?

How exactly are you exporting out of FCP to compressor?

Return to posts index

Ben Watson
on Apr 19, 2009 at 8:33:48 pm

sorry for delayed response...
I have a new Dual quad core Intel Zeon Machine with OS X 10.5.6. Has 4 Gb memory and about a terabyte in space between two drives. One is system drive, the other is Media/Scratch drive (bigger one).

IN FCP, I am using the NTSC DV Compression and like on all my footage. After editing, I do a Export to Compressor, and it opens in compressor as usual (have also tried exporting a self contained file with better results). I add a preset for Ipod (h.264 at 640X480, 4:3, at 1.5 mbps). I also usually add a DVD preset as well... change destination to local media drive, and submit.

Hours later I have a product.

I found that I can use a cluster to use more processors (only if export self contained file), but this doesn't seem to help...

More info? I'd love to see anyone's complete analog component to Podcast workflow.

Today I managed to get it all done (h.264, DVD, and FLV) in less than an hour and half (show is about 30 mins), but only used compressor for the DVD (and it took the longest). Everything else was exported directly from FCP or Adobe flv encoder.

Whew.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 19, 2009 at 9:10:31 pm

I always export as a non-self contained movie and expect just under realtime for my H.264 transcodes. So 90 minutes for 3x 30 min clips is about right I would have thought. Reading and writing to the same drive is going to slow things down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]