FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime out of sync issue

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sue rothberg
Quicktime out of sync issue
on Apr 10, 2009 at 6:11:05 pm

when i compress (from fcp) using sorenson3 codec out of my mac and play back the file, all is beautiful. when i play the file on the pc, it is slightly out of sync. have tried various compressions..same thing. can anyone help with this?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Quicktime out of sync issue
on Apr 11, 2009 at 12:32:03 pm

How many PCs have you tried this on?

Return to posts index

sue rothberg
on Apr 11, 2009 at 1:09:43 pm

i happens on mine and 2 clients...probably others but these are the two i know about for sure

Return to posts index

sue rothberg
on Apr 11, 2009 at 5:28:18 pm

ps: the version on my mac is 7.1. the version of qt on my pc is 7.4. not sure why it should matter on playback.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 11, 2009 at 7:49:07 pm

Ok that confirms that you are suffering from this well known issue.

There are workarounds but to be honest you are better off using another more up to date and efficient format like MPEG-4

Return to posts index

Bob O'Hearn
on Apr 12, 2009 at 3:55:27 pm

Speaking of sync, when I create a wmv (using Flip4Mac) out of my FCP timeline and play it back on my mac it's out of sync. But when played back on a PC, which is actually the final destination, it plays perfectly. Is this a similar issue? This client can't play MPEG-4.

Return to posts index

sue rothberg
on Apr 12, 2009 at 3:57:49 pm

bob--i have the exact same problem with WMV ..out of sync and somewhat pixellated. looks fine on windows.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 12, 2009 at 4:32:48 pm

Playing it back how and with what versions?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 12, 2009 at 4:26:26 pm

[Bob O'Hearn] "Speaking of sync, when I create a wmv (using Flip4Mac) out of my FCP timeline and play it back on my mac it's out of sync. But when played back on a PC, which is actually the final destination, it plays perfectly. Is this a similar issue? This client can't play MPEG-4. "

Mac is a computer which can have a couple of WMV players. QuickTime with Flip4Mac or the old Windows Media Player 9 Mac. In order for this to have some meaning you need to say HOW you are playing the file.

Flip4Mac is a program which has had quite a few version updates. Older ones had bugs that were fixed so in order for your statement to have meaning you need to include version numbers. Currently at 2.2.1.11

If you're using Flip4Mac to play the file then it's likely playing in Quicktime. Quicktime too has had many updates so you'd need to have a version number for that too. Currently at 7.6

If you're having an issue with playback on Mac perhaps you need to update Flip4Mac and/or Quicktime or there may well be a bug in Flip4Mac playback. If there's a bug you should report it to Telestream. Without bug reports they may not know a fix is needed (if it is a bug).

MPEG-4 can be any number of things. It could be MPEG-4 part 2 or MPEG-4 part 10. The latter is H.264. I'd be quite surprised if the client can't play back the older form. The latter form would need Quicktime 7 which as been out a few years. Your client should update to Quicktime 7.

Return to posts index

Bob O'Hearn
on Apr 13, 2009 at 11:33:43 am

Thanks Craig,

I am up to date on the latest versions of Flip4mac and Quicktime. It appears to be a Flip4Mac playback issue and I reported it. It's also a topic on the Telestream forum.
I agree, my client should update quicktime. Would make life a lot easier.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 13, 2009 at 12:34:32 pm

Thanks for that info. I've seen that sync issue too. It's good to use WMP9Mac to double check such things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]