FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD to 2K / 4K etc. NOT DV to HD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cornelius Henke
HD to 2K / 4K etc. NOT DV to HD
on Apr 9, 2009 at 5:03:55 am

I have seen InstantHD, but it only works when uprez-ing (resizing) DV footage to HD. My question is; Is there a program, plug-in or algorithm that can up-res HD footage to 2K or higher? I have been reading about the digital film-out computers and such, but what if the final broadcast format is through a digital projector?

Thanks.

More specifically I am looking to turn HDV 1440x1080, 60i, to 4K or even 2K.

Can it be done on a Mac?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: HD to 2K / 4K etc. NOT DV to HD
on Apr 9, 2009 at 7:14:39 am

[Cornelius Henke] "More specifically I am looking to turn HDV 1440x1080, 60i, to 4K or even 2K"

Why?

Leave the scaling to the projector, if it's a good projector, its scaler and deinterlacer will do much better job than you can do on a desktop computer, whatever software you have.

If you feel you have to do it, Shake will probably do a fairly good job, followed by compressor or even AferEffects, but it's not exactly a drag and drop task!

Return to posts index

Cornelius Henke
on Apr 9, 2009 at 12:26:43 pm

I am curious as to how one would do it with after effects and compressor? Outside of a projector (one of the many possible formats) is that of broadcast television and 1080p projection. If there was an offer to put the feature on BET for example, then they are going to need a 1080p copy, 1920x1080, not 1440x1080.

And what if the projector doesn't scale or deinterlace the footage. It is not risking a chance that it will not offer those features. I am assuming most if not all do, but if one doesn't and there is a screening, then what could be done?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 9, 2009 at 1:39:22 pm

[Cornelius Henke] "I am curious as to how one would do it with after effects and compressor"

Import your source and export with the new output frame dimensions to your chosen codec. compressor allow you to access high end scaling and deinterlacing options to further improve the quality but that ultimately slow the process down considerably. I'm not that familiar with the latest version of AE to comment on what options you have available, but this is bread and butter work for it.

[Cornelius Henke] "If there was an offer to put the feature on BET for example then they are going to need a 1080p copy, 1920x1080, not 1440x1080."

Basic stuff here:
1440x1080 non-square pixels = 1920x1080 square pixels. 'i' vs 'p' is a different story.

(I have no idea who BET are)

[Cornelius Henke] "And what if the projector doesn't scale or deinterlace the footage."

All projectors made in the last decade will, even the cheap ones used at home.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]