FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best technique for high video quality/small to medium file size???

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephanie Gottlieb
Best technique for high video quality/small to medium file size???
on Apr 8, 2009 at 3:04:42 pm

Hello all--

I would love your help on a project I am doing. I am trying to export a 2 minute Quicktime. There are some pdf's and jpeg's that need to be readable, so I need the video to be high resolution. However, it can't be so enormous that someone couldn't download it (preferable less than 30 Mbs...but would love even less if possible).

Some of the pdf's are newspaper articles, and I need the type to be at least semi-readable. Any suggestions on how to compress this?

Thanks!

~Stephanie

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Best technique for high video quality/small to medium file size???
on Apr 8, 2009 at 11:23:28 pm

This kind of question generally gets ignored because it's way too vague. We need to know what tools you have to do the compression and how it's going to be delivered, at a minimum. (e.g. What's high resolution to you?)

I suggest you spend an hour or so reading through similar posts that have been made in this forum.

Sorry to be harsh but you've not given us anything much to go on.

Return to posts index

Cornelius Henke
on Apr 9, 2009 at 4:59:30 am

I agree with Daniel, but since you are asking such a question I am guessing that MP4 - H264 at 620x340, or even my favorite: PhotoJpeg at 75% (not the best, but I like it) or when I want to send anything through the web fast with high quality I just export FLV's.

Now if you provide the tools you have to work with I am sure someone in this forum can give you the best answer or you can just give the above 3 a go and see if they work.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 9, 2009 at 7:06:48 am

[Cornelius Henke] "I am guessing that MP4 - H264 at 620x340, or even my favorite: PhotoJpeg at 75%"

Thanks for stepping in Cornelius but that frame size is totally wrong - it's neither 4:3 or 16:9 and is not equally DIV 8 or 16 (each dimension equally divisible by 8 or 16, a very important consideration with frame sizes). I'm guessing it was a typo?

On top of that there's a world of difference between H.264, PhotoJPEG and Flash (which in turn could be either FLV or H.264) - H.264 (at this level) and Flash (FLV) tend to be delivery formats where as PhotoJPEG is used generally as an intermediate codec, not for final delivery.

Return to posts index

Cornelius Henke
on Apr 9, 2009 at 12:32:34 pm

Yes that size was not a proper aspect ratio, but outside your comments I would say to Stephanie, Do these videos seem high enough quality?

http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/motion-graphics/how-to-create-a-cinematic-...

These are flash encoded files, so maybe you should start there.

Return to posts index

Stephanie Gottlieb
on Apr 9, 2009 at 2:17:18 pm

I apologize for my vagueness. I actually exported an uncompressed QT from Final Cut Pro and used Quicktime to export an MPEG4 at 1200 bits and a 640x480 ratio. It worked wonderfully. The only problem I have is that every second or so the screen blurs and then goes back to normal (like a heartbeat). Not sure why that happens...any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 9, 2009 at 3:34:57 pm

[Stephanie Gottlieb] "The only problem I have is that every second or so the screen blurs and then goes back to normal (like a heartbeat). Not sure why that happens...any thoughts?"

That'll be the keyframe setting in the export settings causing that.

Change it to be 10x your frame rate - so if you are at 30 frames per second then set the keyframe distance to be every 300 frames or every 10 seconds.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 9, 2009 at 6:58:58 pm

They are not Flash Cornelius, they are H.264 files played in a Flash player.
To be brutally honest, it's a no brainer to get a high quality at 30Mb/s (!) for 720p and with easy-ish computer generated content.

That preview clip is over 100MB for only 30 seconds!

I'd be impressed if it was 2.5Mb/s at 1080p and a fast moving action movie.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]