FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD flv ?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott gene
HD flv ?
on Apr 6, 2009 at 8:20:46 pm

Any tips on getting an HD flv to not be pixelated? I'm creating an interactive Flash piece that's destined to be viewed on 52" LCDs, and need to show some full screen video as well. My original source file that I created in After Effects is 1280x720.

All attempts at creating a smooth and clean FLV have failed.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: HD flv ?
on Apr 6, 2009 at 9:26:51 pm

As I said in my other post, a 52 inch display is going to be brutal to your content, unless it's perfect.

I don't know what your content is like but you should be able to get a decent image at something like 4Mb/s using H.264 and a good quality transcoder.

Return to posts index

scott gene
on Apr 6, 2009 at 10:56:22 pm

Hi Daniel, thanks.

I created the source material in 3D Studio Max. The source images are all tif files @ 1280x720.

Source images then dumped into Premiere, then into an uncompressed AVI. AVI -> FLV. No matter what my settings, I can't get a really clean vid. Size isn't a concern, as this won't be going over the web. It's for a touch screen display with local hardware.

When you reference H.264; where does that Quicktime codec go in the workflow? Sorry, bit confused here on that.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Apr 7, 2009 at 2:40:16 am

scott gene When you reference H.264; where does that Quicktime codec go in the workflow? Sorry, bit confused here on that.

Not sure what you mean? If you're coming out of Premiere, you'd export the file using the H264 codec. Flash will play just about any wrapped H264 file, so you can output it as MP4, Quicktime, F4V and others. As Daniel points out, if you keep the data rate at 4MB/sec or higher, it should look decent. The H264 codec is a pretty complex beast to decode on playback, so your playback platform needs to be pretty beefy to play it back smoothly, even at relatively low data rates (compared to other codecs). But 4MB/sec should be no problem on most modern computers.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 7, 2009 at 7:06:25 am

Thanks Chris, at least give me a chance to answer a question directed at me please! It's only polite.

Scott, 3D animation is terribly hard to encode cleanly as it's usually so 'crisp' and sharp, thus easily leading to blockiness or pixelation. Animators often find that 'softening' the render results in a better looking result when compressed.

You don't have to use the H.264 Quicktime CODEC, you can also get very good results from a product called Handbrake which uses an open source version of H.264 called x264, which is in fact higher quality than Quicktime. Simply load up you AVI and choose one of the presets and change the output frame size, Couldn't be easier.

Return to posts index

scott gene
on Apr 7, 2009 at 6:19:46 pm

Thanks for the replies, Daniel/Chris. But I'm still a bit lost from a workflow standpoint.

The H.264 compression. I'm really fuzzy on this point. Where/when/how do I incorporate the H.264?

I'm in Premiere. Do I export via the Media Encoder and select H.264? Then import video into Flash and select the .3gp file?

Sorry, totally lost here on the workflow of this. I need to be able to play the film within Flash. I would normally just import my uncompressed AVI into Flash, convert into FLV, and use my own movie container to play the FLV. This is usually done with a much smaller resolution, so it looks great. Now, however, I'm needing the resolution to be 1280x720 and look great, lol. I hope I'm making sense.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 7, 2009 at 6:59:40 pm

In AME CS4 (on the Mac) I select FLV/F4V as the format and then in the Export settings window choose the 'F4V - HD 720p' preset.

The resulting file will have the .f4v extension, not .3gp which should import directly into you container just like an FLV

Return to posts index

scott gene
on Apr 7, 2009 at 8:31:30 pm

Doh.

I think this is a CS4 only feature. I'm running CS3 and there's an export to Adobe Flash Video option, but no H.264 as the compression.

Grr.

Thanks for the assist, though.

Return to posts index

scott gene
on Apr 7, 2009 at 8:32:56 pm

Hmm. I actually have Handbrake on my MacBook. Forgot about that, and will give it a try as well. Tnx.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 7, 2009 at 10:11:47 pm

CS3 supports H.264, it just not as easily accessed as it is in CS4.

See here

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Apr 8, 2009 at 3:00:18 am

Daniel Low Thanks Chris, at least give me a chance to answer a question directed at me please! It's only polite.

Was just trying to help the guy...it had been a few hours since his post saying he was confused so thought I'd try to give him some direction. I don't consider it impolite to try to help someone on here. I'm pretty sure that's the purpose of the entire Cow Community.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]