FORUMS: list search recent posts

encoding mpeg-2

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Szasz
encoding mpeg-2
on Apr 5, 2009 at 8:16:39 pm

Hello,
I'm capturing films on TV, and I simply want to cut commercials. Initially I had mpeg-1 files, they were successfully edited and exported along with a compression: a 4 GB film became 1.2 GB or so. I used Adobe media encoder with Custom preset and PAL setting. But whenever I try to do the same with mpeg-2 films, they will get just even bigger, and encoding takes extremely long time. I tried to manipulate bit rates, but to no avail. Can anybody advise, please, how to cut mpeg-2 videos, receiving the same file type with smaller size and within acceptable time frame?

Thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: encoding mpeg-2
on Apr 6, 2009 at 2:28:35 pm

What MPEG-2 settings have you tried?

How are you capturing the the File TV source?

Return to posts index

Peter Szasz
on Apr 6, 2009 at 3:24:49 pm

When I export MPEG-2 files, I use always the default settings, except for that I select PAL for TV Standard. I tried to set the Bitrate Encoding, but neither VBR, nor CBR was working (although with 1.7 CBR the file size was predicted as 1.5-2 GB - at the end of the process it became bigger than the original file).

For capturing I have a Leadtek Winfast TV USB II Deluxe, similarly there are not too many default settings that I change therein. Actually I don't even know which features I should take care of, because I'm absolutely beginner in the world of video files. But I thought it could be something very simple to capture a file, then cut a couple of minutes and save it in the same format as recorded.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 6, 2009 at 3:51:25 pm

The Leadtek is capable of capturing either MPEG-1, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4. What have you got selected?

Return to posts index

Peter Szasz
on Apr 6, 2009 at 6:29:33 pm

I captured mpeg-2 files only. After editing with Adobe, I simply want to save in the same mpeg-2 format, but if possible, with smaller size (and not too low quality).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]