FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV plugin blues

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Currey
FLV plugin blues
on Mar 31, 2009 at 5:11:50 pm

Hi guys,

I used to export FLV's through Compressor. I believe I got the plugin a while ago by downloading the Adobe 30 day free trial of CS3. Recently I had to do a reinstall of my OS and the FLV option in Compressor has now gone.
I downloaded the CS4 trial but the FLV plugin still doesn't show up in Compressor. I can use the Adobe flash exporter, but only for 30 days. Is there a way to sort this without actually spending money on an encoder I never needed before?

Also, I'm told FLV is going to become unnecessary soon as flash now supports H.264, but not everyone can use that so I think I still need it at the mo. Is that true?

Cheers,
Nick

(OS 10.4.11 on a G5 with Final Cut Studio 2)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: FLV plugin blues
on Mar 31, 2009 at 5:22:23 pm

[Nick Currey] "Also, I'm told FLV is going to become unnecessary soon as flash now supports H.264, but not everyone can use that so I think I still need it at the mo. Is that true? "

Latest market penetration numbers I heard are something like
Flash 8 On2VP6 compatibility 98%
Flash 9 H.264 compatibility 90%

Flash 9 H.264 compatibility began with Flash 9 Update 3 player (now on Flash 10 player) which was December 2007 so my hunch is that within months Flash 9 compatibility will hit that 98% mark.
YouTube HD videos are H.264. Hulu high quality videos are H.264 so, given that, it's going to continue spreading fast.

Flash 9 is extension agnostic. I've used Quicktime H.264 .mov files in Flash players (SWF) and it works just fine.

Adobe CS4 now exports to H.264 Flash (.f4v extension) whereas CS3 didn't. On2VP6 has an expensive license so I can imagine those who have to pay for the license (Compression App developers) are probably very willing to push people to H.264.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]