FORUMS: list search recent posts

Omneon?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Immanuel Morales
Omneon?
on Mar 17, 2009 at 9:11:56 pm

I'm trying to compress a movie to be able to play on the "Omneon" platform - any idea how this could be done?

Dead the Fed

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: Omneon?
on Mar 18, 2009 at 3:13:26 am

Shouldn't the folks that are using Omneon be able to give you the specs?

If you browse their website, in several places they say things like "provides support for all major video formats and bit rates including HD and SD media stored in Omneon systems using either QuickTime® or MXF." So it looks like they want Quicktime or MXF wrappers using any codec that's typically used with those.

For Quicktime, H264 will give you the best quality and smallest file sizes. Although I'd use the x264 codec to avoid the dreaded Quicktime H264 color problem using Apple's H264 codec.

For MXF, you can use DVCProHD, DVCPro50, DVCPro25, MPG2, XDCAM, MPG4 (H264) and probably several more. I'd avoid DVCPro25 if possible for SD material since it "sucks!"

Be warned though, MXF can be a complicated beast to work with. It's a wrapper that isn't really user friendly when it comes to direct playback of files. Sure it can be done, but not typically without installing some 3rd part software or having a MXF capable NLE at your disposal. Plus you'll need a fairly high-end encoding solution to export to MXF.

Anyway...I'd ask them what they prefer and deliver that to them rather than guess.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Mar 18, 2009 at 7:51:13 am

The Omneons I'm familiar with work with D10 which is a SMPTE standard otherwise known as IMX. Otherwise it's MPEG-2 Iframe only, 4:2:2 with 8 tracks of audio, in an MXF wrapper.

You need to speak to Omneon directly to reach a spec for the particular servers you are targeting.

Return to posts index

Immanuel Morales
on Mar 18, 2009 at 4:52:13 pm

the concept of Television is quite a simple proposal - you have many channels each of which constantly stream video and audio data in sync with each other. this ability is available to me in VLC, Windows Media Player, and many other media players which have the 'playlist' feature. AND it's free. Now... This 'Omneon' device or whatever they use at the Television Station's Master Control which essentially is supposed to do the same thing needs SUCHHHH a specific file that so far, nothing i have sent them works. then they tell me the file needs to be split into 3 different files to be brought together as one???? VLC doesn't need this! Windows Media Player doesn't need this!?? these CHEAPER products are MORE compatible with everything! so what is wrong with this OMNEON??? Beta Tapes, that's what - the business of people buying Tapes over and over again is benefiting someone in power who would would not be so if it were for us using the Internet to transfer data instead of paying over and over and over again for the stupid tapes. You'll find that if you decide to send tapes to the master control, they won't give you any trouble, but once you try to be more efficient about it - oh, then they're confused, they have a problem, this simple idea is suddenly very complicated.. yea well i get it.. whatever, sorry to be so negative - i wish i were a genius technician in all fields hardware, software, and every other type of engineering so i could fix these problems myself.

Dead the Fed

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Mar 18, 2009 at 5:33:59 pm

[Immanuel Morales] "the concept of Television is quite a simple proposal - you have many channels each of which constantly stream video and audio data in sync with each other"

You have obviously no idea whatsoever of what goes into getting pictures and sound to your television set!

Omneons have nothing to do with Beta tape. The reason the MCR will work with such tapes is because they know exactly what they are going to get from them, format-wise and quality-wise.

The reason they are so specific about the types of media they work with and the reason they are so expensive is that they are terribly critical, they need to work 24/7/365 and be totally rock solid with the most demanding types of media.

Non of the the very versatile software players you mention come anywhere close.

Return to posts index

Immanuel Morales
on Mar 18, 2009 at 6:06:03 pm

Daniel - I KNOW it needs to be specific, i KNOW it's complex, that all makes SENSE.

This is what i don't understand...
"The reason the MCR will work with such tapes is because they know exactly what they are going to get from them, format-wise and quality-wise."

So if they 'know' what they want, why don't they just take it from the quicktime? aren't they CONVERTING files in the first place just to get them into their system?? So why don't they just CONVERT mine? Unless they don't have the tools to do so, which as i was saying, isn't your fault or anyone here, it's just money.

Dead the Fed

Return to posts index

Immanuel Morales
on Mar 18, 2009 at 6:17:19 pm

Oh and Dan, i apologize if i sound really irritated but you'd have to be at the office to understand how much of a problem this is for us. really my boss is just a jerk whom everyone in the office hates because we're over-worked and underpaid to an extreme that most people in the business are reluctant to believe or understand until they get there and see the horror for themselves - so, since we're always down to the wire and tearing our hair out (i know many people say this in TV that it's really stressful or time is never enough - but this is not what i am talking about, what i'm talking about is much more severe and stupid)i am always looking for a way to make life easier for all of us. Now, most stations just take beta, that's what they're prepared to take. That's how their systems are set up, i don't REALLY know how it works, but i do know how to put 2 and 2 together.. so i am not surprised to find that there's going to be turbulence when trying to do something they are not set up to do.. but realize, ALL I AM ASKING OF THEM is... CONVERT MY QUICKTIME (we're talking about a VERY STANDARD FILE) into whatever they need. Don't they have a computer over there?? doesn't it have stuff called "software"?? doesn't one of those programs put files onto the TV at home!? doesn't it turn files into other files that can then be put into the TV? well maybe they're not digital, don't seem to speak it. But last time i checked there were programs that were created with the sole purpose of turning ONE thing into ANOTHER. i just wanna know how i can get that and turn my stuff into theirs.

Dead the Fed

Return to posts index

Immanuel Morales
on Mar 18, 2009 at 6:20:02 pm

and you know what else, we even have nano technology now, we're on the verge of making molecules manually out of atoms.. man that's amazing.. these guys better get with the program and start converting ones and zeros or maybe i'll just take them down to my office and show them what i have to deal with using the betas.

Dead the Fed

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Mar 18, 2009 at 7:04:39 pm

I feel your frustrations.

There are software tools out there that will convert your Quicktime files but due to the very high-end nature of the technology involved and also its also quite expensive.

Have a look at Episode from Telestream. Anybody working with video that needs to be converted should have a copy!

Return to posts index

Immanuel Morales
on Mar 18, 2009 at 7:17:58 pm

Thank You Daniel

Dead the Fed

Return to posts index

Marc Bostrom
on Mar 20, 2009 at 9:08:13 pm

There are companys that can help you with this kind of delivery.
Here where we are based we use:

http://www.adtoox.com or adstream.com

With these two companys we can deliver to almost any TV-Station of interest in our region.
The costs are low and it is easy to deliver to them.

A lot of the TV-Stations do not except tapes anymore and insist delivery through one of these companys. All this has happened in the short timespan of 1 year.

Wow....evolution!!!

Marc Bostrom
-| just another PRO FCP user |-

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Mar 21, 2009 at 5:13:16 pm

I think the original poster has a client that is using Omneon. If that's the case, he HAS to use them. We have clients that have contracts with Vyvx. We can't use another service just because we like them better, we have to use Vyvx to deliver the spots.

So I would imagine he has to figure out what Omneon's specs are and deliver it that way.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

David Frederick
on Mar 23, 2009 at 6:08:40 pm

We store all video files in their native format and optionally wrap the content in Quicktime or MXF (OP1A or OPAtom). The ability to play out the files will depend on the MediaPorts available on the system from which you want to play.

We'd be happy to help you with this, shoot me an email and I'll get you to the most appropriate person, or check out the information on the web regarding MediaPorts at http://www.omneon.com/spectrum/mediaport.html

Cheers,

Dave
dfrederick@omneon.com

Return to posts index

Chris Carnazzo
on Jul 5, 2009 at 3:30:42 pm

I think the frustration lies in the lack of clear information about how to get a sequence from a non linear edit station into the omneon (spectrum) server for playback. As editors, we're creative professionals, not engineers. Although many of us have picked up considerable technical expertise over the years, I found the literature on file based workflow for omneon to be a little confusing.

What we want to know is exactly how to export from our NLE into your server.

At my shop, we use an omneon spectrum for HD (and SD) playback inside a control room. Although it did plug right into our existing SD workflow, I've found providing HD clips to be very difficult. We've had to experiment with several file formats and codecs.

If omenon plays quicktime files natively, which codec? What are the export settings for Avid, Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro? Do we need a transcoding program like flipfactory, cleaner, sorrension squeeze or compressor. If so, what settings do those programs need?

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Mar 26, 2009 at 6:55:03 pm

On a Mac you can use our MXF exporters, we have many customers using it with Omneon (D-10/IMX):

http://mxf4mac.com/mxfexport

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac
http://mxf4mac.com

Return to posts index

Immanuel Morales
on Jul 6, 2009 at 4:33:01 pm

yea i just ended up quitting my job and now i work at a tv station where we have our own master control so we don't have to worry about that crap hah

Dead the Fed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]