FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crazy de-interlaced footage mess. Compressor How To?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cornelius Henke
Crazy de-interlaced footage mess. Compressor How To?
on Mar 16, 2009 at 10:59:05 am

So I was giving a small job or simple so I thought, but I knew from the start that I would have some sort of problem since I was given the footage on a DVD. I took a look at it and instantly noticed that this is not your normal interlaced footage. I tried everything, various fields (upper, lower), frame rates conversions, (29.97, 30p, 24, 25), and even various 24P Advanced pull-down. Yet the best I can get still has wildly annoying de-interlaced fields. Is there a way to tell how the footage has been de-interlaced/ interlaced? A way to count the frames and figure out exactly what needs to be done to adjust it?

I ran this footage: http://www.media4themasses.net/test/badexport.mp4

through compressor and the end result has yet to have been pretty. Any recommendations? I tried After Effects, Cinema Tools, & Compressor, yet still some form of de-interlacing is going on.

My guess was that the footage was shot and then the person who exported it to .264 mov files put it on the DVD and messed up the field dominance.

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks,
CJ

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Crazy de-interlaced footage mess. Compressor How To?
on Mar 16, 2009 at 4:44:55 pm

What a mess. - Have you tried an adaptive deinterlace in compressor on the highest quality settings?

Return to posts index

Cornelius Henke
on Mar 16, 2009 at 7:35:03 pm

Yes and it just gives me large squiggly lines. It becomes ugly. I found a way to minimize the lines to a few here and there with a reverse telecine, but then from there I cannot get rid of the rest of the lines.

Return to posts index

Marcus Remberger
on Mar 17, 2009 at 12:24:24 pm

Theres a freeware program called JES deinterlacer. You can download it at macupdate or at apple software download pages.
Maybe that can help, I know it has helpt me once or twice ....

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Mar 17, 2009 at 2:13:13 pm

JES is indeed good and certainly worth a try, but in my opinion it isn't a patch on the best that compressor (or indeed Episode) can do.

Return to posts index

Nate Hanson
on Mar 30, 2009 at 9:12:23 pm

I don't know if you found an answer yet (this post is a few weeks old), but I had a similar problem and (by accident) I applied a Flicker Filter in Final Cut Pro (Effects -> Video Filters -> Video -> Flicker Filter). It smoothed everything out. It didn't look perfect, but it was usable for what I was trying to do.

Maybe that will help you. Hopefully, you solved that problem weeks ago.

Nate Hanson

Pilothouse Films

Return to posts index

Cornelius Henke
on Mar 30, 2009 at 9:26:17 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I actually tried a number of things before putting the project aside to do other work. I tried all that I could based on everyone's advice, but still I could only do so much. I'm not sure, but I am thinking the since the video file was compressed from it's original format, that its de-interlaced fields are not in the right proportions. So when no matter how I try to merge them, it is going to only merge some of the fields.

Return to posts index

Nate Hanson
on Mar 30, 2009 at 9:41:44 pm

One more thing: I had to set it to the highest setting (Amount: Flicker Filter (max)) before it made a difference. My footage just wiggled like crazy everytime there was fast movement on the screen - like everybody was made out of gummi worms.

Anyway, let me know if that works for you. Good luck!

Nate Hanson

Pilothouse Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]