FORUMS: list search recent posts

MAC to PC Video Problem

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan cooper
MAC to PC Video Problem
on Mar 10, 2009 at 6:55:47 am

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this query so my apologies if this is the case.

I've created a 2 min animation in AE (on a Mac) for a corporate client, which was ultimately going to be distributed as a DVD to their corporate clients (majority PC users), however a lot of the people they sent the DVD to couldn't play it because they don't have any DVD player software installed. Could this be right? I was under the impression a DVD player came standard with any machine?

The video needs to auto-play when the user inserts the disk. I have since been trying to make a VCD (using iVCD) as an alternative, but the quality is terrible.

Is there any other way to distribute the movie so PC users can view it?

Thanks for the help,
Dan

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: MAC to PC Video Problem
on Mar 10, 2009 at 8:34:56 am

Amazingly Windows does not support DVD playback natively, it relies on 3rd party software. The Mac OS has had ever since DVD players became an option.

If your clients users don;t have the ability to view DVDs then it's likely that the rest of the video capabilities of their PC will be crippled.

You are best of asking your client to find out what they can accept, rather than taking multiple stabs in the dark and wasting your time.

If you can't do that then your best option is to produce high quality MPEG-1. Pretty well anything than can still be powered-up can play back MPEG-1!

A bad choice speaks louder than a good one.

Return to posts index

dan cooper
on Mar 10, 2009 at 12:17:33 pm

Thanks Daniel. Sounds like there's no definite solution but this appears to be the best option. Hard to believe we can put a man on the moon but can't play a DVD on another computer!! Go Windows!

Thanks for your advice,
Dan

dan

Return to posts index

daniel low
on Mar 10, 2009 at 12:36:15 pm

Compare taking a bunch of screen shots in Windows to OS X, without a 3rd party application. It's laughably stupid on Windows.

A bad choice speaks louder than a good one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]