FORUMS: list search recent posts

what's the fastest way to convert HD footage to SD?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marina Wahba
what's the fastest way to convert HD footage to SD?
on Mar 10, 2009 at 12:24:44 am

Hi everyone,
I have few DVDs with HD files [1920x1080] that I need to convert to SD files so that my client can watch them on her PC and edit them on Adobe premiere.
I have around 82 files.
I have FCP, compressor and DVD studio pro.
I can't buy video converters so please don't suggest it.
I want to keep the original aspect ratio.

I tried to do it through DVD studio pro and burn it to DVD, but then when trying to import it to Premiere the files were disabled!!!! :(

can anybody help please, I'm running out of patience!!!!! arghhhh
Cheeeers

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: what's the fastest way to convert HD footage to SD?
on Mar 10, 2009 at 3:01:57 am

What format are the HD files?

Does your client use any video capture/processing card with Premiere, like a Blackmagic or Canopus card? The reason I ask is this would impact what codec to use when you convert them.

Is your client working on a PC or a MAC? This would impact the format you convert to.

I don't use Final Cut but you should be able to convert them in compressor from my limited knowledge of it.

If your client's Premiere Pro is on a PC, you should convert them to SD 720x480 widescreen or 720x486 widescreen AVI's... using the codec that is native to any video capture hardware they may have installed. If they have no hardware, then likely 720x480 DV would be your least objectionable option...although not a very good one from a quality standpoint, it will be very responsive when editing even on a modest computer or laptop.

If Premiere is on a Mac, then quicktime .mov files would be best using the codec that's native to any capture hardware (like AJA) they may have installed...or again, DV at the same resolutions above. Remember that DV is ALWAYS 720x480. You'd use 720x486 for other D1 based codecs like the Blackmagic or AJA ones mentioned above, and widescreen is usually an option. All it does is use a different pixel size at the same pixel resolution to achieve a widescreen look.

You'll also need to be aware of color space conversion since HD video uses a different color space than SD. I believe Broadcast HD video uses ITU-R BT 709-5 where as broadcast SD video follows ITU-R BT 601. Most conversion filters just say 709 to 601 or something like that.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Marina Wahba
on Mar 10, 2009 at 3:33:06 am

Hi Chris,
thanks for your help
well the files format is: XDCAM EX 1080p25 (35Mb/s VBR)
She uses Premiere on a PC, I don't think she has cards.
And I was hoping there's a way to convert multiple files on FCP instead of exporting 1 by 1 which will take ages..
or... I hope it's not too silly- but would it work by any chance to bring the files to DVD studio pro and then burn the DVD with SD settings? this is what I've actually done and the DVD worked but then trying to import them to Premiere didn't work!
Thanks
Marina

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Mar 11, 2009 at 1:25:05 am

I could be wrong but I don't think Premiere can read or import .vob files, which is what DVD files end up being.

Do you have Compressor 3? It's suppose to have batch conversion capabilities. If not...you'd have to get a transcoding application like Procoder.

Otherwise...yes you'd have to convert file by file, which would indeed suck.

Other Final Cut users might chime in here with suggestions.

Procoder could be an option (Windows only). I believe it's in the $5-$600 range, but it's a great application that you will get tons of use from down the road....and it has the color conversion filter you'll need. But...I don't know if it imports XDCAM files...although it should.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

marcus remberger
on Mar 11, 2009 at 9:58:53 am

No need to convert them 1 by 1, just drop the files into the Final Cut
batch window, selected them all and right-click on your mouse
and choose batch export.
A window pops up where you choose your setting and then just press export. Piece of cake.

Return to posts index

Marina Wahba
on Mar 13, 2009 at 4:26:47 am

Wouhouuu it worked, it's so easy

Thanks Marcus and Thanks Chris :)

Regards

Marina

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]