FORUMS: list search recent posts

8 Bit Uncompressed to FLV

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matthew forrest
8 Bit Uncompressed to FLV
on Mar 7, 2009 at 7:47:34 am

I have an 8 Bit uncompressed video, 23.98 FPS, 67.6 MB/sec data rate that is 2000 x 737 frame size and 10gb. I want to keep the frame size the same and high quality, yet the smallest FLV file I can.

I have been trying Flash Video Encoder but the resulting FLV has been large and not great quality.

1. Should I be compressing the 8 bit video to an intermediate codec, or go straight to FLV?

2. Is there a cheap, yet robust compression solution that is better than Flash Video Encoder? ( I downloaded a test of Episode but am having trouble getting it to work correctly at this point)

3. Are there any other specific settings I should keep in mind?

I appreciate any ideas! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
Re: 8 Bit Uncompressed to FLV
on Mar 8, 2009 at 2:47:47 pm

1. Go straight from UC8bit to FLV
2. It depends on what you're compressing to. You'll get great quality and smaller file size going with H.264 rather than ON2VP6. You can now put H.264 in a Flash wrapper for viewers with Flash9 Update3 or later to view. For ON2VP6 FLVs, Episode, FlixPro: http://www.on2.com/index.php?365, Squeeze, or the Flash Encoder work. I think all but the Flash Encoder do 2 pass encoding for the highest quality (but be aware that some Flash upload sites don't allow 2 pass VBR Flash). If you can go H.264, then Compressor, Episode, QT Pro, and Squeeze all work. I personally use and like Episode, although I use Compressor for H.264 too.
3. Video for encoding likes to be in blocks of 8 or 16 pixels ideally. Here's an Adobe chart for Flash optimal sizes. Your frame size isn't here, but do the math, I think you'll see that your size isn't ideal. Maybe you can crop a few pixels?

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/apps/flv_bitrate_calculator/video_sizes.h...

Ed

Return to posts index

matthew forrest
Re: 8 Bit Uncompressed to FLV
on Mar 9, 2009 at 2:26:18 am

Ended up going to a post house last night and they compressed it with squeeze and it looks pretty good. Very interesting about the H.264 wrapper and the frame size recommendations. I am definitely going to give it another go myself with both of those options. Thanks for your time and consideration on this subject.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]