FORUMS: list search recent posts

How To Burn A Blu-ray Disk Using Apple Compressor, Mpeg Streamclip, And Toast 10 That Does Not Re-encode Or Demux The 5.1 Audio

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcow
Danny Daneau
How To Burn A Blu-ray Disk Using Apple Compressor, Mpeg Streamclip, And Toast 10 That Does Not Re-encode Or Demux The 5.1 Audio
on Mar 4, 2009 at 1:42:31 am

Creative Cow was a great help on getting me on the right track. I posted a walkthrough on how to successfully create a beautiful HD Blu-Ray disk using Apple Compressor, Mpeg Streamclip, and Toast 10. This is something I discovered through much trail and error while working on creating a Blu-Ray screener disk and thought it would be a good idea to share my experience. Hope this helps others trying to find the best workaround. Click here for my original posting with pictures.

Solution:
After much trial and error, reading through every forum and piecing together little bits of information, I came to the following workflow which worked great and produced a beautiful HD Blu-Ray with it's Dolby 5.1 mix in tact.

Update: If you can get your hands on Abobe Encore CS4, you can easily avoid the steps below. I was finally able to locate it on a friends computer and created a disk image I can burn anytime in Toast. The problem is Encore is a product not many people own on Mac, so in the meantime, check out the workaround below.

Walkthrough
compressor shotApple Compressor - Although Blu-Ray can handle mpeg2 and h.264, Compressor can only create a Blu-Ray compatible stream with mpeg2. First, import your media and under Settings>Formats>Mpeg2> choose 'Program Stream' and drag to your media. Secondly, in your inspector under the 'Encoder' button, click the drop down menu for 'Stream Usage' and select Blu-Ray. Next, click the quality tab and bump your maximum bitrate to 38mbps and your average no higher than 33. Make sure your encode destination is heading to the right place and hit submit. My film is Apple ProRes, 80min long, and it took about 8 hours to encode on a 2.8 Core 2 iMac.

**Blu-Ray can handle up to 40mpbs, but I wouldn't risk that high data rate on all players.

Mpeg Streamclip - I am assuming that you already have a dolby 5.1 ac3 file created. If you'd like me to post a walkthrough please let me know in the comments below. Typically, Mpeg Streamclip is used to separate an Mpeg and Audio file from a TS folder found on any DVD. We are going to reverse this process, taking our mpeg2 and dolby 5.1 ac3 file, and creating a TS folder that will later be brought into Toast to burn.

To begin, locate the newly created mpeg m2v file you made with Compressor. Make sure the file is in a folder by itself. Next locate the corresponding ac3 file and copy it into the folder with your m2v. Now you want to rename the ac3 to match the same file name as the m2v. For example, if your m2v is mymovie.m2v, then rename your ac3 to be mymovie.ac3.
file structure bluray
Now open Mpeg Streamclip and drag the m2v file onto the application. It will take 3 or 4 minutes to connect everything, but once it's finished, you should see your video in the browser and '128 AC3 3/2' under "Audio PID". The one change you need to make here is adjust the "Audio Mode" to the 'Surround' option. Your final step is to create a TS file by going to FILE>CONVERT to TS>CONVERT to TS and choosing where to save it.

Once the conversion is complete (should only take a couple minutes) we are ready for Toast 10!

Toast 10 Titanium
Open Toast 10 and navigate to the video button. Under Blu-Ray video, drag your newly created TS file onto the Toast application. Toast will recognize the Mpeg2 and Dolby 5.1 ac3 file. Under "Options" click the "more" button.

- Under "Disk," name your disk and select "Play all items simultaneously".
- Under "Menus" choose Menu style "no menu."
- Under "Encoding" choose "Mpeg2" and max out your bitrates to 26mbps. Set Reencoding to "never." Under "Audio" choose "Dolby Digital." Everything else should be automatic.
Toast Settings Blu-Ray

Finally, make sure you are set to burn to BD-R, click the red burn button and let it go. It might say encoding, but worry not, your encoded work will remain untouched.

If you have any questions please leave a comment and I'll try to help.

Best,
Danny Daneau
---
http://www.theatticdoormovie.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: How To Burn A Blu-ray Disk Using Apple Compressor, Mpeg Streamclip, And Toast 10 That Does Not Re-encode Or Demux The 5.1 Audio
on Mar 4, 2009 at 7:44:20 am

This is great.

Thanks for posting this.

A bad choice speaks louder than a good one.

Return to posts index

Danny Daneau
Re: How To Burn A Blu-ray Disk Using Apple Compressor, Mpeg Streamclip, And Toast 10 That Does Not Re-encode Or Demux The 5.1 Audio
on Mar 4, 2009 at 3:55:04 pm

No problem. I figured there would be others like me out there crazy frustrated that the Apple workflow is not established.

~DD

Return to posts index

David Rokeby
on Mar 11, 2009 at 2:18:42 pm

Thanks for this info. I upgraded to the new release of Toast 10 (10.0.1), and had problems making this work. I kept getting an error -50 at the end of the multiplexing, whether burning a disk or creating a disk image. In the end I accidentally dragged the m2v file into Toast 10. It linked up with the Dolby Digital audio of the same name in the folder, and burned fine without re-encoding. I am not set up to verify the audio quality, but the visual results seem very good. I am not sure if this reflects a bug fix in Toast 10 or not, but I am a happy camper either way.

Return to posts index

Danny Daneau
on Mar 15, 2009 at 7:38:09 pm

Very odd. I have not had the error -50. Your image should look great though with no problems using the above method. I started using it that way and was satisfied with the result. The problem is your 5.1 is being demuxed by Toast. If it's not crucial that this stays in tact the result should be totally cool. For me, this is my first feature film and I am really particular about how it will screen. We spent a lot of time and money getting that 5.1 laid in, what's the point if you can't hear it :-)

BTW, are you creating a BD disk image?

Return to posts index

Jason Van Horn
on Mar 15, 2009 at 3:44:13 am

I have Toast 9 and I pretty sure that my source material has been re encoded. I started out at 7 something GB's and then after the encode it ended up being 4.86. I reluctantly burned a disc on DVD DL to try it and sure enough, image quality was worse and the audio was not 5.1 but 2.0. I was able to confirm in addition that it was not the same bitrate either by playing it on my PS3. Have you worked with Toast 9 at all figured out what's going on?

Return to posts index

Danny Daneau
on Mar 15, 2009 at 6:41:04 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with Toast 9. Can you tell me a little more about your encoding? Are you burning Blu-Ray to a DVD DL? If so make sure your mpeg2 settings are no higher than 15mps. For some reason it freaks out if you go higher.

Return to posts index

Jason Van Horn
on Mar 16, 2009 at 1:52:37 am

That's good to note. I will try a lower bitrate and see what happens. I had encoded it at 19 so maybe that's the issue. I will post my results in a few days once I have tried a couple of different setups.

Return to posts index

Emmanuelle Antolin
on May 30, 2009 at 1:52:52 am

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your posts.

I am looking for a workflow for MPEG-2 (via Compressor 3) to Toast 9, without necessarily going to MPEG streamclip (I don't need surround sound).

I am using Toast 9 with the BR plugin. I have a 28 min film and I plan to burn it to a DVD - not Blu Ray disk. Toast 9 says you can do this.

Can I just use your MPEG-2 and send it to Toast? If so, what settings should I specify in Toast?

Thanks for your help!

Emmanuelle

Return to posts index

Danny Daneau
on Sep 14, 2009 at 12:00:47 am

I've been getting feedback that Toast 9 will re-encode your material even after you follow my Mpeg Streamclip walkthrough. If you had Toast 10 I would recommend you following my steps with one change because you are outputting to DVD instead of Blu-Ray. In Compressor, make sure your max bit rate is NO MORE THAN 15mbps. The DVD disk in communication with the player will not be able to handle anything higher than that. If you were outputting to Blu-Ray, the target bit rate could be as high as 35-40mbps.

So you really have two options with Toast 9, Compress in compressor or Compress in Toast. With my experience, Toast re-compressed anything I gave it anyway so why not just give it the raw uncompressed media and let it do the compressing. Just make sure you max but rate is no higher than 15mbps if you are sending out to DVD.

If you have any other questions, please also post on my blog thread: http://www.theatticdoormovie.com/2009/mac-bluray/

Danny Daneau
---
theatticdoormovie.com

Return to posts index

Elzine Aristide
on Sep 10, 2009 at 9:31:56 am

Thank you very very very much, you just save many lives sharing this. By the way, someone told me that with final cut studio 3 you can now do the blu ray disc with 5.1. Not test yet, but...

Return to posts index

Vasik Greif
on Nov 24, 2009 at 1:48:29 pm

Hi, I tried your method now, I end up with correct blueray structure on the disc, but the Samsung blueray player is not able to play it. Any ideas what else should I try? Thanks

http://vasik.net

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 24, 2009 at 2:01:08 pm

If it's a BD-R it should play. There are some older Blu-ray players that don't play BD-R.
This article is old. The current version of Compressor 3.5 burns H.264 directly to Blu-ray. No need for Toast or MPEGStreamclip.

Return to posts index

Vasik Greif
on Nov 24, 2009 at 2:12:12 pm

I bought the player last week, it's the highest home cinema line from Samsung, so I don't think the problem is there (it plays discs encoded by Toast correctly, but stereo only). I know it's possible to use new Compressor, but I don't have it now and have I do have Toast 10, so I'm lookinf for temporal solution before I upgrade... Thanks

http://vasik.net

Return to posts index

Doug Weiner
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:24:14 pm

OK, I have been reading posts here and searching, and reading some more but am left with some questions about how to encode for files for BluRay DVD so that the disc will work in both the US and Europe.

First, this method worked brilliantly and I can play this BluRay Disc on a Sony Desktop player and HD TV 1080i in the US. (I used Toast 10 and Compressor 3.5)

However, will this disc play on a BluRay player in Europe?

Questions and or misunderstandings:

1) Source Material was a 29.97 AVI file but had a proper 3:2 put into it. I re-encoded it first using Compressor to ProResHQ so FCP could handle it- keeping it at 29.97. Then using the Mpeg2 method for Toast/BluRay prep, kept it at 29.97. Is this going to be a problem in Europe? Do I need to be at 23.98? I can reverse telecine it with Cinema Tools to either 24 or 23.98. (I assume for compatibility, I want 23.98) OR is this just a waste of time and European BluRay setups (the player and or TV in HD) don't care. If so, I am done.

2) In the future, when I am mastering a real BluRay disc for replication, should my encodes be at 29.97 or 23.98? One disc will be available in the US and Europe.

3) Am I missing the boat here and there is something I need to do or stop doing?

Thanks
Doug

Return to posts index

Vanessa Ruane
on Oct 29, 2010 at 7:23:08 pm

Hi

Thanks so much for posting - I'm following your steps - My QT ref file also made an aiff file but I only brought the .mov into Compressor. I use the program stream and could hear sync audio in the preview window - However it only exported out a m2v file and when I play it in mpeg stream clip there is no audio.

Can you advise or point me to how I get the dolby 5.1 ac3 file.

Thanks,
Vanessa Ruane

Return to posts index

Evelyn Floret
on Apr 4, 2011 at 2:54:11 am

Hello Danny,

I followed your formula for burning the blu ray dvd, but I ended up with zero audio in the mpeg streamclip audio file. Could I have done something wrong in compressor. I suppose I have not given you enough information. I have been struggling for weeks to make a blu ray dvd and you know how to succeed. The video looks great in mpeg stream clip.Maybe you have heard of this problem where there is no audio. I would appreciate any feedback from you. Thanks for your generosity.
Evelyn

Return to posts index

Michael Knowles
on Aug 12, 2011 at 4:31:04 pm

Hey Danny, I'm wondering if you have figured out how to burn a bluray disk with both 5.1 audio and stereo tracks so that a user could choose when they view it. I figured out how to do it on DVD's with dvd studio pro but haven't figured it out with blurays and toast. Help? - Michael

Return to posts index

Stanya Kahn
on Sep 15, 2011 at 6:22:20 am

HI. I know this post is old. I appreciate it. One question: Anyone have any issues with leaving filed dominance "automatic" for 1080 24p footage? or should i select "progressive" (using toast 11).
thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Knowles
on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:32:45 pm

hey Danny, thnaks for your post. have you learned how to create a bluray disk with two audi tracks ( 5.1 & stereo mix) so that a user would have the choice when playing the disk?

Return to posts index

Tim Pearce
on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:34:41 am

I followed your instructions and they worked perfectly for the first BD that I burnt.

I am using a Lacie burner.

However, when I made a 2nd BD I followed the instructions again but now when I either burn the BD or create an image it reduces the size of the file which means it must be rencoding for some reason. I have now tested the TS file I used for the first BD and it is now doing the same for this one!

Originally it created a 24gb file from a 23.67gb TS file now it creates a 19gb image file! what is more when the process has finished or you abort the burn it has reduced the size of the data to burn in Toast from 24gb to 18gb! (before the burn it shows the correct burn size of 24gb). Why is Toast resizing the TS file? Any ideas?

This has really got me baffled as I changed nothing between the first BD and the 2nd one, in fact toast had even saved all the settings.

Return to posts index

Christopher Carbone
on Dec 11, 2012 at 3:58:34 am

I followed everything to a T and when I hit the red "burn" button in Toast (oh, I am using Toast 11) it goes to MUX, then stops the entire process and returns to the project.

any help would be great

Return to posts index

Emilio Dietmar
on Oct 14, 2013 at 8:11:59 am

Hi Danny, I am getting an error message after approx 1 hour of encoding:

pid="263" kind="end" what="service-request" req-id="9039AD19-5C2B-42E2-A3DF-6333F68C2E21:1" msg="Processing service request error: QuickTime Error: 0">

I did exactly what you said. My MOV is 122 min long and I would like to burn a blu-ray. Seems simple but Compressor 3.0.5 doesn`t do the job.
Any suggestions?

Best,
Dietmar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]