FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uncompressed AVI to something smaller

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Moonchild
Uncompressed AVI to something smaller
on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:46:15 pm

Hey,

so far I've been able to get by just using the tutorials, but by now I've come so close to my deadline I'm getting nervous, hence a question that's likely been posed before. I'm thinking it should be an easy one for the natives here, but it's kicking my butt.

I've done some stuff in After Effects and as long as I render it to uncompressed AVI, it's pristine. 219MBs for four seconds of video is a bit steep though, but any codec I try to use makes the loops look like crap.
I'd prefer to compress it straight out of AE, but I suppose I could use somekind of videocompressionsoftwarething if that means my question's in the right forum.

The loops are going up on a big screen behind a DJ, so I'll be wanting big quality, but low filesize. You know, the digital fairytale.
Which codec does that, or which tutorial can tell me how to do it?

Thanks in advance,
- Eddie

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: Uncompressed AVI to something smaller
on Mar 4, 2009 at 3:17:53 am

H264 is going to give you the best quality at the lowest bit-rate and file size.

Next would be 4:2:2 MPG2 (DVD quality except it doesn't throw out half the color info). After that, 4:2:0 MPG2 (DVD quality) at a fairly high bitrate (8-10MB/sec) would also look very good.

Without knowing your format specs (I'm assuming it's HD if 4 seconds uncompressed is 219 MB), you need to keep in mind there are different specs for Blu-ray compression and standard definition DVDs.

Your target playback device will ultimately determine which codec you should use. But all things equal, you cannot beat the quality of H264/MPG4.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Eddie Moonchild
Re: Uncompressed AVI to something smaller
on Mar 4, 2009 at 11:01:53 am

Yes, I should have been a bit more specific about it.
The clips are supposed to be videoloops a DJ is going to use on a big screen in a club (which is the reason I'm letting myself get nervous about this).
They're 1024x576. I'm usually at the receiving end of After Effects and that's what we use for 16x9 broadcasts, so I figured I'd stick to what I know (frustratingly little, as it seems).
Longest clip is 50 seconds and considering there's only five (four an a half, really) loops that need to go on a DVD, filesize doesn't need to go down very far.

Anyway, for reasons as of yet unclear to me H264 rings a bell, I'll give it a go right after coffee - I do have my limits.
Thanks for your response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]