FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Mpg 1 Files in Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Duguay
Creating Mpg 1 Files in Compressor
on Mar 3, 2009 at 1:32:14 am

Hello all,

I've been trying to figure out a workflow for compressing Mpg 1 movies to be played on Samsungs proprietary digital signage software called MagicNet Pro. Unfortunately it only can play Mpg-1 & WMV files. I'm trying to run some tests and I'm using Apples compressor to compress some HD footage to a standard definition 864X486 Mpg 1 movie. When I apply the Mpg 1 preset in compressor, it's not giving me the option to enter a custom size value. It always defaults to 354X240 or something, and the compression looks horrible, I can't even customize the compression settings. I've tried to save a custom preset from the original preset, but it still wont let me modify the settings, they're blanked out and it wont let me change anything.

Any ideas?

Adam

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Creating Mpg 1 Files in Compressor
on Mar 4, 2009 at 7:46:04 am

[Adam Duguay] "Any ideas?"

Use something other than compressor. Compressor only allows standard MPEG-1 frame sizes.

A bad choice speaks louder than a good one.

Return to posts index

Brecht Wouters
on May 14, 2009 at 10:44:00 am

I have the same issue. I am able to change quality, but not the dimensions. Which program should be used then? I figure it could be done in Mpeg Streamclip (What's in a name?' but I can't figure out how.

Return to posts index

George Costakis
on Nov 5, 2009 at 1:56:27 am

You can actually get around this by modifying the actual preset itself.

Save a new custom preset from the MPEG-1 standard preset, quit compressor, and then navigate to the following: User (ie: your computer user name)> Library > Application Support > Compressor

Find the newly created preset and open it in TextEdit or TextWrangler. Find the section where it lists the 320x240 or whatever and change this to whatever you like, as long as each of those dimensions are divisible by 16. I think you can get away with other numbers, but I'm not guaranteeing it. Also, if you're making an especially large frame size and you need to increase the bit rate past 2.0, you can also modify that within the text editor of choice by finding the section "ave-data-rate" and "max-data-rate" and changing those to what you need.

Save the file, re-open Compressor, and add the custom preset to your video clip. I've noticed that if you mess with any of the settings in the tabs once you've modified it through the text editors, that it will reset some of it's values. So just make sure to set the settings you want ahead of time so that you're just dragging that custom preset onto the clip and submitting it. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
George Costakis

Return to posts index

Alejandro Sorin
on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:25:22 pm

Man, this tip was the philosopher's stone that I was looking for for 2 years. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]