FORUMS: list search recent posts

H264 to wmv problems

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob O'Hearn
H264 to wmv problems
on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:17:40 pm

I am trying to make a high quality wmv file from a H.264 file out of FCP. The project is HDV 1080i 60
and looks great once I render a self contained QT file. The problems happen when I try to render to wmv in Squeeze, Episode or DV Kitchen. The audio keeps going out of sync in the final file. Shoould I render out to another codec? Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I am also creating mpeg II and flv files and there is no problem.
Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: H264 to wmv problems
on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:30:40 pm

It would be much better to export to self contained in the timeline codec. Some "engines" have a hard time recompressing some other heavily compressed codecs.

Return to posts index

Bob O'Hearn
on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:40:18 pm

Hi Craig.

Would I go to my sequence settings and get the info from there?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:43:58 pm

Export using Quicktime (NOT Quicktime Conversion). That's all you need to do. Make sure Self Contained is check and Recompress unchecked (I've NEVER found a reason to check that).

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 21, 2009 at 7:52:58 pm

Also make sure the drop down on the export box says 'Current settings'

A bad choice speaks louder than a good one.

Return to posts index

Bob O'Hearn
on Feb 21, 2009 at 8:16:02 pm

Thanks again Craig,

I just rendered a high quality wmv at 960 x 540 at 1000kbps because it has to play on a large wide screen monitor. The audio is ok for the most part but I can tell it's not right on the money. Could the 16 x 9 dimensions be giving me the problem?
Thanks
Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 21, 2009 at 8:32:18 pm

[Bob O'Hearn] "I just rendered a high quality wmv at 960 x 540 at 1000kbps because it has to play on a large wide screen monitor."

This is for desktop playback? Widescreen computer monitor or HDTV? You need to spell out your target. Frame size and data rate might or might not be ok relative to the target. TARGET always comes first in the equation IMHO.

One can certainly do 1280x720 WMV HD at around 4-5000kbps and it can look good. It may also cause some computers to struggle. One can get away with lower data rate depending on subject. Key frame rate can have impact too depending on content.

Without as much detail about the target all I can do is make guesses.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 21, 2009 at 10:12:10 pm

For what it's worth, I'm doing 720x576 wmv (4:3 & 16:9) at around 500 - 600K/s and it's fine for most content.

Target is PC, source is MPEG-2 50Mb/s I-Frame

A bad choice speaks louder than a good one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]