FORUMS: list search recent posts

MotionJPEG-B

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaime Quintana
MotionJPEG-B
on Feb 18, 2009 at 7:57:12 pm

Just curious...but I have been using PhotoJPEG compressions and motionJPEG-B and have found that motionJPEG-B actually increases the size of my files. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: MotionJPEG-B
on Feb 18, 2009 at 10:42:39 pm

"What am I doing wrong?"

Probably nothing.

What are your source format details?

What settings are you using for MJPEG-B?

Why did you choose to start using it over PhotoJPEG?

A bad choice speaks louder than a good one.

Return to posts index

Jaime Quintana
on Feb 18, 2009 at 11:04:27 pm

Well, I've been compressing HDV files straight out of FCP and I've found the files, which range about 2 mins, are usually in the neighborhood of 350 MB which works for our asset transfer system. I was using motion JPEG-B because somewhere someone said that compression is used for interlaced video and photoJPEG is used for progressive scan stuff. My clients were told this and know swear by it. If I do compress an HDV file out of FCP, it actually makes the file bigger (using both sorenson and compressor).

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 18, 2009 at 11:13:10 pm

The MotionJPEG codecs where designed to be used in conjunction with hardware boards back in the day of products like Media100 and long before codecs like HDV where on the market.

I don't know of anybody who'd use MJPEG A or B over PhotoJPEG these days, interlaced or progressive.

I'd go back to PhotoJPEG if I were you, or go for ProRes if it plays well with your asset transfer system.

A bad choice speaks louder than a good one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]