FORUMS: list search recent posts

a little help with compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
charissa stowers
a little help with compressor
on Feb 12, 2009 at 4:31:19 am

I need some advice and the Apple forums were pretty unhelpful. I have some Final Cut Projects (1-2 hours) that I need to archive as a final version on a PC that uses Premiere Pro for editing. My initial idea was to compress the entire file to the highest possible quality H.264. This gave me files sizes around 15-18 GB, which were 1. bigger than I hoped 2. unable to transfer onto the PC because they were too big to move onto my Mac&PC formatted external drive 3. way too big to burn onto a data DVD. I don't want to lose quality, and would rather not have to move this data piece by piece. Would printing to tape be my best option? And if so, would that preserve the quality I need? I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
Re: a little help with compressor
on Feb 12, 2009 at 4:55:55 am

What codec are you using for your FCP sequence?

Is this SD or HD material?

Interlaced or progressive footage?

I'm not sure which application is best but there are a few to choose from that will allow you to read OS X drives with XP. There are a few here. You might also be able to format a drive on a Mac with the NTFS 3G format and read the drive on windows.

You could also set up a Mac/PC network and transfer the files that way - it will probably be slow but it should work.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 12, 2009 at 8:05:33 am

Make sure the PC has Quicktime installed.

If you are working with DV, simply export to the DV codec

If not try exporting to the Quicktime PhotoJPEG codec set to 75% on the quality slider.

If your file sizes are too big - use MacDrive from MediaFour to sort out the drive issues

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Feb 13, 2009 at 1:36:01 am

If you cut in DVCPro50 you can get the DVCPro50 codecs for PC from Raylight. I would export chunks of about 10 minutes each then reassemble in the PC. If you are DV, just have QT on the PC and again bring over like 10-15 minute chunks. We do need more info.

And get MacDrive for the PC. Just get it. It will be useful throughout the life of the PC. It is awesome.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]