FORUMS: list search recent posts

MOV to DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Janson
MOV to DVD
on Feb 9, 2009 at 12:21:07 am

Am I wrong or is it a myth that a 720x480 quicktime will transfer cleanly to DVD with proper compression? No matter how much I finesse my compressor's VBR, the titling always ends up stairsteppy and images are slightly blurry -- am I wasting my time trying to recreate the clean look of my original quicktime just so I can hand over a media disc the grunting client can understand, put in machine, and press play?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: MOV to DVD
on Feb 9, 2009 at 7:56:54 am

"Am I wrong or is it a myth that a 720x480 quicktime will transfer cleanly to DVD with proper compression"

It's perfectly possibly to do. You'll need to give us a lot more information about your source clip and the setting you are using before we could figure out why the titles look bad.

Return to posts index

Mike Janson
on Feb 9, 2009 at 2:49:37 pm

thnx for getting back paul -

the clip was created in after effects (just graphic elements in motion, no imported video)
720x480
square pixels
dur 10 secs (when i'm done with the project it'll be 2-3 minutes long)

rendered as lossless mov, 72 megs total
(also rendered as mpeg2-dvd on another try)

imported into encore
transcode setting 'ntsc dv high quality 7mb vbr 2 pass'
the build results in an 8 meg file

viewing the output w apple's dvd player looks fine when viewed in actual size - makes sense - but i need something to look sharp full screen and this isn't adequately scaling up - am i wrong to start off at 720x480 in after effects?

thnx again
mike

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 9, 2009 at 3:26:46 pm

Err, my name isn't Paul, but anyhow.....

720x480 is a non-square pixel format. You should be rendering out of AE as 640x480, if the project is 4:3.

Return to posts index

Mike Janson
on Feb 9, 2009 at 4:45:24 pm

daniel! sorry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]