FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding a .Vob file for use in Final Cut

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Simpkins
Transcoding a .Vob file for use in Final Cut
on Feb 5, 2009 at 3:15:40 pm

Hi guys, firstly let me just say long time reader and user of these forums, first time poster. Everything i've ever need to know or thought I could answer has already been done on this site after a little search through the forums, so keep up the good work. The community of this site is so helpful and an asset and a pleasure to use as a digital videographer. So thanks firstly :)

My post is regarding .Vob files. Does anyone have any experience working with these? I haven't used them before, yet i have just found out my client has a selection of videos which im editing this evening which are all in .vob format and im a little nervous about the work flow for transcoding these into a file format that fcp will understand.

I was told by the client that the files were avi (i've been called in last minute to fix an edit someone has screwed up with and have been planning my workflow to transcode avi files using mpeg streamclip) but now they are .vob i'm not sure the best way or program to do this in.

I would ideally be looking for a solution using programs i already have (compressor, quicktime etc) or ones that are freeware as I am simply doing this edit as a favor to help out some friends who were left in the lurch by a (so-called) professional that cut out before the edit is done.

I am editing at the companies production office this evening (18.00 gmt) which will be around 3//4 hours time so any experience or tips would be greatly appreciated and well received.

Once again- work flow is...

Transcode .Vob files for use in Fcp - edit sequence- dvd construction in dvd sp...

Thanks Again

Robert Simpkins - Videographer

Rob.Simpkins@gluelondon.com

Return to posts index

Chris Brown
Re: Transcoding a .Vob file for use in Final Cut
on Feb 5, 2009 at 5:10:30 pm

Download the free utility MPEG Streamclip. You can open the VOB files (which are from DVDs) and transcode them to any format you want. I would suggest transcoding them to a DV stream at 25Mbps. If you know the aspect ratio, you can set that as well. The only issue would be if the video is 23.98fps on the DVD. Then you should export to a QuickTime movie - and I would recommend DV/DVCPRO or DVCPRO50 as the compressor. You can then import the clips into Final Cut for editing.

One other note - make sure you have Apple's MPEG2 Playback plugin installed - it's $20 from the Apple store online. It lets you view MPEG2 files, such as those from DVD's.

Videographer/Editor
Creative Director
Union Digital, Inc.
http://www.uniondigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Robert Simpkins
Re: Transcoding a .Vob file for use in Final Cut
on Feb 5, 2009 at 5:23:23 pm

Hey Chris,

Thank you very much for such a quick and informative reply. It' s much appreciated.

When i thought the files were AVI i was planning on transcoding them using MPEGstreamclip, so thats great to know I can still use it for the .VOD files.

Thanks again for your help... when in doubt... creative cow all the way ;)

Have a lovely evening and best wishes

Robert Simpkins - Videographer

Rob.Simpkins@gluelondon.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]