FORUMS: list search recent posts

adding compressors

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John OBrien
adding compressors
on Feb 2, 2009 at 2:27:21 pm

I am working in a Quicktime environment that was built for MAC OS9. Neither Quicktime VR nor the composition tool, LiveStage Pro (which I use in OSX 10.4.11) recognizes modern file types and compression tools natively.

Can I somehow update their recognition/use of compression types in general to include some version of mp4 or say, h264?

Also, if I upgrade to Sorenson 5 in OSX 10.4.11 will the world out there automatically recognize as Quicktime movies those I output with this compressor.

Thanks

John

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: adding compressors
on Feb 2, 2009 at 5:21:22 pm

I'm sorry but I don't understand your post.

Are you saying that you work in OSX (10.4) but have Quicktime for OS9, somehow?

Any Quicktime aware application in OS 10.4 should be able to recognize most standard media file types.

If it doesn;t then there is something wrong with your setup, or the filetype you are trying to use is non-standard and will need an addition to Quicktime (Divx is an example)

Any version of Sorenson is capable of producing standard Quicktime files that anybody with Quicktime will recognize.

Sounds lilke your set-up there is rather 'ill'?

Return to posts index

John OBrien
on Feb 2, 2009 at 7:17:04 pm

Thanks for considering this problem. Here's a better description: Because Apple doesn't support its VR application in OSX it must be dealt with by booting in 9. Doing so brings up a series of compression output options in VR that resemble the typical 2000 era choices including h263, Sorenson, jpeg etc but not h264 or anything that efficient. So the simplest way to re-pose the question might be to simply ask: is there a way to modify the compression options any program "sees" when it opens its output panel or are these options entirely application dependent?

ALthough I have only worked with compression within applications (AE, FCP etc) except Squeeze which stand alone, I believe there is a way to add a compressor to your system's capability. If this is possible with 9.2, then I'm set.

thanks again

John

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 2, 2009 at 9:25:15 pm

Sadly there's no way of adding new components/compressors to an old Quicktime. You might be able to play back new material under OS9 but not encode to it with an outdated underlying system.

You have a couple of options:

Use a more up to date VR authoring package like VR WORX which works in OSX:

http://www.vrtoolbox.com/products/products.html

or

Save your VR as a high resolution JPEG and then re-compress in OSX using H.264.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]