FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding audio with compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deirdre Good
Encoding audio with compressor
on Feb 2, 2009 at 7:44:11 am

Hello everyone! I am new to this site and I am looking forward to communicating with all of you.

I am completing the Apple Pro Training Series for DVD Studio Pro 4 and I'm afraid I am still deeply confused about audio compression.

I know in FCP you can export using Compressor. The file shows up and you must choose a setting. My question is if, in your project, you have dialog, narration and music, how do you know how to encode the overall project? Do you have to encode the tracks individually? Say you have 2 streams of regular audio (L & R tracks 1 and 2 for dialog), then 1 stream of narration, and 2 streams (L & R tracks 5 and 6) of music, how do you use this info to compress audio? Is the number of actual audio streams in your project in FCP relevant?

Then, with AC-3 compression preprocessing profiles, would you use music standard compression, speech compression, etc? If you have music, narration and regular dialog, how do you create settings for all of them? Or would you use one setting that will automatically know that you have different types of audio in your project?

Or, am I completely off the mark? I need to encode the audio relatively soon and I don't know what to do.

I would really appreciate your input. :o)

Deirdre

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Encoding audio with compressor
on Feb 2, 2009 at 1:53:47 pm

It really depends on how you plan to have you work played back. Do you want stereo of multichannel/surround sound.

If it's stereo then you can perform all the 'mix-down' processes in FCP, you're best off asking the same question in the FCP forum as the experts are there but usually you'd have music and regular audio coming from the L&R and the narration as mono, effectively coming from the 'centre'

If you want to do a surround mix, which is much more comlplicated, you migh want music to be L&R, narration from the centre and the regular audio mixed between L&R + Rear L&R.

Like I said, for best workflow and tips and tricks, visit the FCP forum and http://www.kenstone.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]