FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV - Last Few Frames Degrade

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Metz
FLV - Last Few Frames Degrade
on Jan 28, 2009 at 10:28:09 pm

Greetings!

I've got a strange (okay, maybe not that strange) issue with a couple of files that I'm working on. The source files are 30 fps Animation w/alpha, about 500x500-ish. They vary a bit in size. I'm compressing with Squeeze 5.0.4 using On2 to .flv, and I need to retain frame rate and transparency. They're progressive and I've made sure that the dimensions are divisible by 16.

I'm seeing, in 2 of the files, that the last 3 frames of the finished .flv go all blocky and soft. The rest of the files look fine, and the rest of the problematic files look okay, too. It's just the very end, which is, of course, what the end user has time to scrutinize.

Anybody else seen this? Is there some way to force the last frame to be a keyframe?

Thanks for any tips!

Doug

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: FLV - Last Few Frames Degrade
on Jan 28, 2009 at 11:00:44 pm

What distance are you forcing keyframes to be inserted?

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jan 28, 2009 at 11:15:18 pm

Hi Daniel,

I've got 'Key Frame Every 30 Frames', and auto key frames enabled (set to 10). Minimum distance to key frame is also set to 30. Min quality set to 50, max set to 85

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 28, 2009 at 11:33:16 pm

Set it to between every 150-300 frames if you are working with 30fps footage. Too many keyframes can hurt quality.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jan 29, 2009 at 4:35:50 pm

I turned off the automatic keyframes and set the other to 300, which helped the overall quality a teensy bit, but I'm still getting the soft blockies on the last 3 frames (though not quite as pronounced).

For our purposes I think it'll probably be 'good enough'... I can't say that I've ever been satisfied by anything less than great though.

Just seems odd that the last 3 frames would degrade like that since all motion stops about 5 frames earlier. If the prior frames don't change, somehow I have it stuck in my head that the image should improve. ;o)

Thanks again, Daniel. If you have any other suggestions, I'll surely try 'em out!

Doug

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]