FORUMS: list search recent posts

best compression for web download?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jose Minay
best compression for web download?
on Jan 28, 2009 at 8:34:24 pm

I am working with a non-profit organization who does humanitarian work around the world. We currently have a website that streams WMV files but we are currently setting up a subscription service so that donors can download good quality videos off of our server.

I have done research and Mpeg4 files with h.264 compression is what seems like the best way to go as far as cross-platform compatibility and compatibility with software such as Media Shout for PC and Pro Presenter for Mac.

Our average video length is 5 minutes and i'm using Mpeg Streamclip making Mpeg4 files with H.264 compression. The problem is that the files turn out to be 200+ MB in size. That is too big for people to download from our server.

What would be the best way to compress these files to maintain good quality, small file size and good compatibility as well?

I'm using a Mac Pro with MacOS 10.5

I am seeing that sites like "Sermon Spice" have 5 minute videos that are less than 40 MB. My goal is to shoot for this size.

Thanks!

Jose

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: best compression for web download?
on Jan 28, 2009 at 10:23:46 pm

Stick with the same format but get your hands on a good encoding application, MPEGStream clip is more of a utility than an encoder.

For cheap/free stuff, look at:
ffmpegx
Visual Hub (if you can still find it online)

If you've got some money just buy Episode from Telestream.

Return to posts index

Jose Minay
on Jan 29, 2009 at 1:58:18 pm

Ok thanks! I will check those out.

Jose

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Feb 1, 2009 at 6:37:23 am

Here are some guidelines to use with h.264; it's the perfect balance between file size and quality.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/h264.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]