FORUMS: list search recent posts

can't transcode from 1080p > DVCPro HD in Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luca Lucarini
can't transcode from 1080p > DVCPro HD in Compressor
on Jan 27, 2009 at 1:20:52 pm

Hey all, real stuck with something here. I'm editing a project that is being shot with the Canon 5D mkii, which shoots 1080p @ 30 fps movs encoded using H264. We are transcoding from the h264 'negatives' to DVC Pro HD 60i for offline. Unfortunately I haven't been able to employ Compressor to transcode the files successfully. The resulting files have the dimensions 1888 x 1062. I am running Compressor 3.05, and have tried the following settings:

DVCPro HD / pixel aspect ratio 0.667 / frame size 1280 x 1080
DVCPro HD / pixel aspect ratio square / frame size 1920 x 1080
DVCPro HD / pixel aspect ratio 0.667 / frame size 1920 x 1080

All 3 of these setting yield a mov that is 1888 x 1062. Here are a couple of screens showing what I am talking about:

... the original H264 frame...

...and here is the DVCPro frame. You can see the cropping on the sides of the frame, look at the lady on the bottom left corner and the number '12'on the column on the right hand side.

I have also tried reinstalling Compressor, and updating the subsequent installation to 3.05. No dice. Uninstalled again, tried running Compressor 3.0. Didn't work. Also have tried the following: Quicktime, MpegStreamClip. They also produced the wonky file. Have tried running everything off the internal HD's, no dice there either. I am on a MacBook Pro, 2.0 ghz dual core, OS X 10.5.6, Quicktime 7.6. Anyone got any ideas?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: can't transcode from 1080p > DVCPro HD in Compressor
on Jan 27, 2009 at 7:46:47 pm

There's no such thing as square pixel DVCPro HD

Where are you reading the 'incorrect' output frame sizes from?

Anyway, all is correct with your output frame, compressor is doing nothing wrong but rather sticking to SMPTE 274M specs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television#Notation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]