FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressions for Broadcast

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Schwartz
Compressions for Broadcast
on Jan 21, 2009 at 10:26:55 pm

Hi and thanks for any assistance here.

I may have an upcoming project where the final elements (:30 spots) will need to
be uploaded to traffic for broadcast. I've had a fair bit of compression experience
for rough cuts, but this will be for broadcast.

If we don't want to upload uncompressed QTs (i.e. :30 sec uncompressed SD-say 700 MB),

I was looking for some pointers on an acceptable broadcast quality QT with a smaller
file. I had heard Pro Res 422 was something they were accepting regularly. I have the Avid
codecs, but don't know if the traffic/duplication companies accept that type of thing.

Any other codecs or formats that are generally accepted as being high in quality and decent for
filesize would be what I'd like to discuss.

Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressions for Broadcast
on Jan 22, 2009 at 8:02:02 am

The simplest thing is to check with them what they can accept rather than try and second guess. ProRes is a pretty safe bet as the CODEC is available for both Mac and Windows. Avid CODECS are not a safe bet.

Return to posts index

Charles Schwartz
on Jan 22, 2009 at 3:14:20 pm

Makes sense. Thanks.

With the ProRes decoder for windows, will I be able to encode to ProRes on a Windows workstation?

I'm thinkin not?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 22, 2009 at 4:24:34 pm

No, it's a decoder only.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jan 23, 2009 at 1:49:29 am

Use CBR 15mbps or 18mbps with pcm audio and encode to MPEG-2 program stream. We have created these our of compressor and they look great. You MUST use CBR and your audio should not be AC3 but PCM.

These will be efficient files and again, look great.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Charles Schwartz
on Jan 23, 2009 at 3:32:18 pm

Thanks for the help. Rich will I be able to try out the specs you describe in Squeeze 5?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jan 25, 2009 at 1:05:20 am

Unless things have changed, Squeeze is not a great MPEG2 encoder. Compressor probably a little better for t his sort of thing. But with a 15-18mbps video stream, Squeeze can't be that bad.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2009 at 9:04:17 pm

Some places seem to require VBI (Vertical Blanking Interval) when encoding spots for delivery (DGFastchannel asks for this). Neither Squeeze nor Compressor is capable of doing that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]