FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcode and shrink DV

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Schmidt
Transcode and shrink DV
on Jan 15, 2009 at 3:37:21 pm

Hi!

Too many DV clips are filling up my external HDD, and instead of buying a second HDD or deleting some of the clips, I was thinking about transcoding them to a smaller format. A third of the size of DV would be great. I was looking into MJPEG and MJPEG2000, but haven't really decided yet, also due to not being an expert on this in general.

A loss in quality is acceptable, if it's not too significant. Also compression speed does matter as well.

Main goal has to be that the resulting clips still use AVI containers and remain compatible to Adobe Premiere and After Effects.

My sytem: Vista 32bit Home Premium, Premiere/After Effects CS3.

Thanks for any advice!

Michael

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Transcode and shrink DV
on Jan 15, 2009 at 10:24:31 pm

A waste of time in my humble opinion, as storage is so cheap, but never the less, if you want to pursue it look at using H.264 which will give you the best results but will take time to transcode. If you want to speed up the process, look at XviD.

Alternatively have you thought of laying them back to tape, which is the cheapest and easiest option?

Return to posts index

Michael Schmidt
Re: Transcode and shrink DV
on Jan 19, 2009 at 11:54:51 am

You are propably right. I can delete some of that stuff. The rest I either keep on the HDD or copy to tape.
Already the effort to find a proper codec for transcoding takes time, not to mention the actual transcoding itself.

Thanks for your advice!

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]