FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 bitrate inconsistent

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raven Plenty
H.264 bitrate inconsistent
on Jan 13, 2009 at 6:10:10 pm

I am exporting H.264 QuickTime movies from within FCP. I have chosen to limit bitrate to 400 kbps, but I'm not getting that as a result. I have two test videos. One (about 60 sec clip) ends up as 3.5MB and QT shows it as being 489 kbps. The other (about 2:25 clip) ends up as 24MB and QT shows it as 1373 kbps.

Why am I getting a 1373 kbps movie when I asked for a 400 kbps movie?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: H.264 bitrate inconsistent
on Jan 14, 2009 at 12:12:55 am

A few things

You can't expect tight rate control out of FCP/Quicktime Export, it's simply not designed for that, you need an application like compressor or Episode to do that for you.

Even compressor or Episode cannot hit a datarate spot on and keep it there, no encoder can.

None of the above can perform the impossible; if you set a datarate of 400Kb/s for a 1920x1080 25fps clip there is no way it could get anywhere near as low as that.

Make sure you choose the right kind of rate control: So for example for 400Kb/s....

1 pass CBR is going to hit a rough average of 400Kb/s over say 30 secs of material, if it can. (see above)

2 pass CBR is going to be a more accurate version of the above.

VBR is going to take 400Kb/s as an average and will go to whatever peak value you have set and may drop down well below if it needs to.

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Jan 14, 2009 at 4:45:17 pm

I'm scaling them down to 480x360. I wasn't as surprised by the one video ending up as 489 kbps as I was by the one that went to 1373 kbps. That's more than 3 times the size I specified. Is that kind of variation really "normal" (when doing QuickTime exports)?

On the other hand, I have done a Compressor export and it was around 470 kbps, so you're right about it being more accurate in that regard. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 14, 2009 at 8:09:09 pm

"That's more than 3 times the size I specified. Is that kind of variation really "normal" (when doing QuickTime exports)? "

Like I said, it really depends on what kind of 'rate control' you used, but the figures you quote are not out of the ordinary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]