FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 1.2 fails with FCP4.5

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Barroso
Compressor 1.2 fails with FCP4.5
on Jan 13, 2009 at 2:56:55 am

Okay, I know I'm way behind the update curve and plan to buy the latest of everything when this project is finished. But in the meantime, I'm just trying to get finished with what I have, if possible.

I am trying to export a sequence edited in FCP4.5 to Compressor 1.2, for the purpose of burning a DVD in IDVD6. The movie is 1:05:00 long. My first question, is this the way to go?

The reason I can't answer the question myself is that when I bring in the sequence into Compressor and use the "MPEG-2 90 minute High Endcode - ALL" preset and hit "submit," it fails. A file of zero kbs is created. No other error messages.

I've search this and other forums and can't find this problem with the above combination of software. Hardware listed in signature.

Thank you very much for your interest in my problem.

FCP 4.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /
Mac Pro 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core/ 2G RAM
External: FW800 G-tech 500 HD and G-Tech Quad 750GB
playback deck: Pan dv2500

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor 1.2 fails with FCP4.5
on Jan 13, 2009 at 12:11:08 pm

Have you tried taking the sequence directly into iDVD and doing the encode there?

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
on Jan 13, 2009 at 12:18:06 pm

No, I have not. I did not know this was possible. Do you mean just copy and paste the sequence? I will try it.

If it's this easy, why use compressor? Am I sacrificing quality?

I also own Toast 9, but don't use it because of their cheesy-themed templates. I haven't figured out a way around them.

FCP 4.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 13, 2009 at 12:58:58 pm

Err, not exactly copy and paste but export from FCP and import into iDVD.

Compressor gives you many tools to adjust encoding parameters to squeeze the best out of video but unless you really know what you are doing it's unlikely you'll be able to tell the difference between iDVD encoding and compressor encoding.

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
on Jan 13, 2009 at 1:52:50 pm

Thank you for taking interest in my education, Daniel.

My choices for export from FCP4.5 are: QT movie, QT conversion, Compressor, and so on. I assume you mean to export as a QT movie and then bring it into iDVD6. Please let me know if I have this correct.

I tried QT conversion and the horizontal aliasing (is that the smearing of horizontal lines on motion?) was horrible.

Right now this is just a rough cut of my doc and it will be viewed only on computer screens by a consultants. Eventually, I will have to get the best compression possible for projection at film festivals. If I took my own advice, I would "hire professionals," but sadly, it might require me to go without beer for a month. Or two. If I can avoid such fate, I would like to.

So the bigger question is, given my peculiar hardware and software (see org. post) configuration, can I do a decent job? If the answer is yes, I will continue to search this forum and others for tips on how to achieve it.

FCP 4.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 13, 2009 at 2:39:42 pm

Export as a Quicktime movie choosing settings the same as your sequence.

Your setup is perfectly capable of producing high quality output, even though it's a little out of date.

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
on Jan 13, 2009 at 6:47:18 pm

I tried the "Best Quality" and "Best Performance" settings in iDVD and the results were awful. More jaggies when anything moves in the frame than when I tried to use compressor. I've compressed plenty of video for iDVD before (in fact, this very footage) and something "just ain't right."

I've tried looking for tutorials but it's never for the software I'm using. I must be missing a step somewhere. Is there a Best Practices checklist I can look at? What else can I try?

FCP 4.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 14, 2009 at 1:30:55 am

http://www.kenstone.net/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>