FORUMS: list search recent posts

Streaming Servers

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Streaming Servers
on Jan 11, 2009 at 8:17:00 pm

We have an opportunity to get a dedicated server for our web hosting. We are currently Linux, but with more and more Media Site Live projects we could use a Windows Streaming Server. Are you guys feeling that streaming servers are going to be shorter lived with increased internet speeds? Is Windows Streaming still a large share of the streaming media out there? Or are you seeing an insurgence of Flash Streaming servers making their way online which might give Windows Media a run for its status?

I can configure our dedicated server Linux or pay bit more for a Windows version that I can load the streaming server software.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Perrone Ford
Re: Streaming Servers
on Jan 12, 2009 at 11:28:35 am

We've used the MS Streaming server for years and been very pleased with it. I am looking at moving to their newer edition on win2008 this year. Our userbase is nearly exclusively PC, and the windows media codec plays well, and scales well. I am even looking to do some native HD streaming tests in coming weeks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Streaming Servers
on Jan 12, 2009 at 11:47:47 pm

IMHO the future (of web delivery) will be with progressive type delivery (whether that be by HTTP or Bittorrent or whatever). RTSP is still, after all this time and all this bandwidth, flaky and expensive and difficult.

At the end of the day, I want to control the quality of the experience I've created, not be dictated to by the bandwidth of the connection or other factors getting in the way along the line.

Although he price of FSS has dropped drastically recently the only people bothering with it are those concerned with DRM, even though it's easily overcome by those that can be bothered.

As for Windows streaming, well I can't remember the last time I saw any.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]