FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressed Video in Flash

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wright
Compressed Video in Flash
on Jan 8, 2009 at 9:51:31 pm

I'm embedding an FLV file into my flash movie, but every time I try to publish this file, Flash crashes.

I'm embedding the video rather than streaming it or importing it for progressive download because the main movie has elements like bullet points that should synch up with the video. There's also a scroll bar in the main movie that controls everything in the main timeline (the bullet points, the embedded video, etc).

Also, I don't hear any of the video's audio when I play the video in the timeline in the native .fla file.

The embedded video is 448 x 336

So my questions....

1) Any idea why Flash would crash when trying to publish this swf with an embedded flv file?

2) Any idea why there's no audio?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Mike Lacher
Re: Compressed Video in Flash
on Jan 9, 2009 at 3:11:51 pm

Hi Chris,

What other info do you have on the video (video and audio datarates, codecs, length, framerate, alpha channel etc.). If it's a large file, Flash might be choking. What version of Flash are you publishing to? What's the framerate of your Flash project? Also, what are the specs on your computer (processor, RAM, and OS mainly).

If your concern is syncing the video, you might be better of pulling the video in, not embedding it. It can be a bit more work, but will yield better results. Embedded video tends to play inconsistently and will lose AV sync pretty easily. It also bogs down your FLA and causes long publishing times and can crash slower computers depending on the length of the video. You can sync bullet points by figuring out the corresponding time in the video or by putting in cue points in the metadata that can cue actions in Flash.

-Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]