FORUMS: list search recent posts

VBR/CBR and Camera movement

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren Gentry
VBR/CBR and Camera movement
on Jan 7, 2009 at 3:36:43 am

Hi:

This is my first post here as I am just getting into trying to improve my methods of compression for the online video revolution. Right now I'm using FlixPro and uploading to Vidego which runs on the Akamai network.It is supposed to be a very fast CDN. I agree with Daniel in other threads that I have read that H.264 from Episode or Mainconcept is better but right now I'm stuck with Flash because that's what Vidego accepts.

I think it looks decent but I still get jumps and jitters in shots that have camera movement ,esp. tilts, pans, jib shots. When I was encoding I experimented and found I got the smoothest motion by encoding using VBR. These files are encoded at an average rate of 850kb and play beautifully on the desktop, but online , even after the video has been completely loaded the shots with motion tend to hang or drop frames intermittently.

IS this caused by using VBR or is it because the bitrate is too high?
Flash really can't stand a much lower bit rate at this size frame.

Thank you for all these post that I am learning from.
Warren Gentry

Return to posts index

Warren Gentry
Re: VBR/CBR and Camera movement
on Jan 7, 2009 at 12:30:25 pm

BTW you can view the videos here:
http://www.warrengentry.com/page0/page0.html

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 7, 2009 at 11:10:36 pm

The videos look great but play rather poorly.

This maybe due to inefficiencies in the Flash player you've got and/or some resizing you are doing with the player on the page, but I'd bet it's something to do with player/page coding.

You could probably look at dropping your audio datarate down a bit and not lose too much quality.

Return to posts index

Warren Gentry
on Jan 8, 2009 at 3:16:06 am

Well the player is the JW player. It's stored on my site while the video is on the Vidego site, don't know if that could cause this problem.
The size of the play window is approx the same size as the video.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 8, 2009 at 11:09:02 am

Like I said, if the video is being resized by the player, even slightly, it'll cause problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]