FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression for DVD-Rom

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan McClendon
Compression for DVD-Rom
on Jan 5, 2009 at 8:11:39 pm

I apologize if this topic has been covered before, I searched the forum and could not find it. Ok here goes:

I have about 8 hours worth of videos (live filming and software screen shots in the same video) that need to go onto a DVD-ROM (not cd-rom because of the amount of video). This is software training that will be delivered through an adobe director movie. I am assuming that h.264 will be the best format for this. I did some tests and h.264 looked good. My question is what will be the best compression setting or compression suggestions for this project?

Current workflow: Export From FCP to Compressor.

Compressor Settings: h.264, Frame rate same as source, height and width same as source, key frame every 30 frames, frame reordering, multi-pass, data rate restrict to 2400kbits/sec, optimized for cd/dvd-rom, aac 48kHz 128kbps, fast start-compressed header, and deinterlace (better -motion adaptive).

The size is good and the quality is acceptable. One of my concerns is the data rate. Is this too much for dvd-rom?

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compression for DVD-Rom
on Jan 6, 2009 at 4:32:45 pm

A 1X DVD drive speed can transfer approximately 1.4MBps (1.36Kbits/s) - You should be able to get good (not great) looking SD H.264 at that datarate, but most people should have faster drives than 1x.

Return to posts index

Nathan McClendon
on Jan 6, 2009 at 7:04:58 pm

Just to make sure I under stand correctly; a 2x drive would have a transfer rate of 2.8Mbps...sustained?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 6, 2009 at 11:02:43 pm

2.7Mb/s, but I wouldn't say you could 'sustain' that reliably. 2.2 maybe.

Return to posts index

Nathan McClendon
on Jan 7, 2009 at 9:44:05 pm

Thats good to know. Thanks for the info!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]