FORUMS: list search recent posts

Last Ditch effort...

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Obernesser
Last Ditch effort...
on Jan 3, 2009 at 12:34:10 am

Hello to all...
I have left posts many times in the Adobe flash forum, but I never received an answer. I've tried video co-pilot and also hulu.com and a few other video intense sites. Here's what I am looking for:
I am launching a new site middle of next week I want to use adobe encoder and flash. I have tried many different settings and I would like to know if there is one that can handle what I am trying to do. I am trying to emulate http://www.hulu.com and get some good quality video placed on my site which will be updated every week. I have used my Canon XL 2 at 30p to shoot us and the quality is just not that good. I tried many different settings and nothing seems to give me the result I see on other sites. I am thinking of going to my sony hdr-fx1 and shooting everything in HDV instead and hope to get a better result. The only problem I see is that on the settings for adobe encoder, they don't have an hdv 1080i setting. Will the video have problems because of that or will it work ok if I leave the export settings at normal?

Please give me guidance, this site will make or break me!

Chuck

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Last Ditch effort...
on Jan 3, 2009 at 10:04:09 pm

HDV will certainly give you higher quality than DV and I'm sure the Adobe encoder won't have a problem dealing with the HDV 1080i source, just remember to deinterlace it.

I seem to remember you used to use compressor, any reason why you switched to Adobe media encoder?
Also, forget about getting a high quality encode from the supplied Adobe presets, you need to get under the hood to get the best out of it

If you're at a make or break situation with the new site, I wouldn't personally risk it all before you have your encoding settings and production workflow sorted out perfectly.

Return to posts index

Chuck Obernesser
on Jan 3, 2009 at 10:59:38 pm

I switched from compressor to flash because after doing test compressions with compressor, the file sizes were bigger than I though I would have space for at first for the site. So I started to dabble in Adobe flash and encoder and the file sizes were more to what I feel we needed. Also people around here who have been helping me said that using flash would be the best way to compress the video down. Also I am starting to do a great deal more work with AE and my partner use adobe everything, so now i am at a point where I gotta decide whether or not to stay with FCP or change over to pre. and hope to have a easy workflow. Now when you say deinterlace would I do that in FCP or in the render settings in encoder?

Thanks for the help;
Chuck

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 3, 2009 at 11:27:55 pm

I'm not sure if you are aware that compressor can produce Flash On2 and H.264 output and is a much better encoder than the Adobe one. As for deinterlacing we covered that the last time I replied to one of your posts:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/20/860900

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]