FORUMS: list search recent posts

25P DV footage?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Komer
25P DV footage?
on Dec 26, 2008 at 9:49:47 am

I need some education on how to handle 25P DV...

From what I understand, it is still interlaced- only the two interlaced parts are sampled at the same time, so there is no need for motion detection and creating new frames that approximate the difference of the fields.

With that in mind- what's the best, fastest way of turning this into a true 25P stream? When I create a "25P" project in Premiere- i.e. the same settings as PAL-DV, only with no field ordering, the footage looks fine- but premiere wants to render it.

I've also tried opening it with virtualdub and re-saving as lagarith. That also looks fine, but seems an unnecessary step (unless I want to work in all square pixels, in which case I'd re-size at this stage too).

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: 25P DV footage?
on Dec 27, 2008 at 10:25:23 am

DV is either progressive or interlaced, never something in between. Only certain DV cameras are capable of true progressive capture, others mimic the look of progressive by using different shutter speeds.

You can't turn interlaced video into 'true' progressive video, something is always lost in the process of deinterlacing unless your video is totally motionless.

Premiere probably wants to render the the footage as it is actually interlaced and your project is set up as progressive.

There are loads of different ways to deinterlace, if you know your way around VirtualDub then there are some excellent deinterlace filters available for that you could use which don't require you to convert to square pixel.

Return to posts index

David Komer
on Jan 1, 2009 at 10:06:31 am

I shot 25P with a DVX-100. Also- see http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/917816

Please unravel this mystery :)

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 1, 2009 at 8:12:19 pm

Use and automatic, adaptive deinterlacer, there are a couple available for VirtualDub. The will make you footage progressive with the minimum of quality loss.

Return to posts index

David Komer
on Jan 2, 2009 at 8:38:29 am

What's the point in doing that if there is no temporal difference between the fields to begin with? Bringing the footage into a "Progressive" timeline (i.e. custom settings based on DV-PAL, but progressive instead of bottom field first) looks absolutely fine- just Premiere wants to render it.

The whole reason I shot with 25P was not only for quality, but to avoid this step.

I understand about using motion-adaptive deinterlacing. I've used Magic Bullet Frames, Fieldskit, and VirtualDub's Smooth Deinterlacer plugin in the past.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 2, 2009 at 10:13:28 am

Ok,

As you've discovered, your '25p' is actually written to tape as 50i but you want 'true' progressive footage from this interlaced source and your NLE doesn't support it natively and you don't want to go through a render or deinterlace step?

I'm out of suggestions.

Let us know if you find a solution.

Return to posts index

David Komer
on Jan 2, 2009 at 11:32:22 am

Is there an NLE that does support it naively so I won't need to render?

I definitely don't want to go through a deinterlacing step. By using a custom "25P" project in Premiere, it looks fine- though I need to render. That is my best-bet right now as far as I figure.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]