FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Recommended Bit-Rates for Blu-Ray

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Compressor Recommended Bit-Rates for Blu-Ray
on Dec 19, 2008 at 11:28:09 pm

What bit-rates are generally recommended when encoding a short project for Blu-Ray. Is there a number that you should not exceed, like there is with SD-DVD?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor Recommended Bit-Rates for Blu-Ray
on Dec 20, 2008 at 12:34:51 am

What format are you planning on encoding to?

MPEG-2, H.264 or VC-1?

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Dec 20, 2008 at 1:16:11 am

Sorry. Mp2

I don't know if it matters, but bit-rate on master file is 35mbs. Some of my stuff is at 25mbs.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Dec 20, 2008 at 10:44:19 am

Don't exceed 45mb/s combined A/V. In your case you shouldn't go over the bitrate of your source.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Dec 20, 2008 at 3:14:07 pm

Thanks Daniel. So, if I have a 5-minute piece with a bit-rate of 35 mbs, my best setting would be 35mbs (max) and about 28mbs (avg)? Or, do I want 35mbs (avg)?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Dec 20, 2008 at 3:50:37 pm

Encode with a constant rate control. There's no point in wasting bits so it all depends on what the content is and what encoder/codec you're using.

I've seen stunning MPEG-2 1920x1080 at 15Mb/s with tricky content but I've also seen crappy looking AVC at the same rate.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Dec 20, 2008 at 4:12:33 pm

I'm using Compressor, and I agree that a constant bit-rate in this case would make sense, but Compressor doesn't seem to allow anything except variable in it's Mp2 settings. Few of my masters exceed 20 gigs in size, so it seems to be that the best course is to just max out my settings for everything. I just need to know what the limits are.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]