FORUMS: list search recent posts

.VOB to .MOV to FCP to .MOV to .FLV ...Help please...

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Fancher
.VOB to .MOV to FCP to .MOV to .FLV ...Help please...
on Dec 18, 2008 at 1:02:50 am

I'm struggling with this one and could really use a hand...

I have seven, 1 hour-long .vobs that need minor edits in FCP and then need to be turned into 7 .flv files for web distribution. I'm having trouble figuring a few things out...

Here's my workflow... I'm running the .vobs through MPEG Streamclip to turn them into .movs then importing them to Final Cut. I then do a couple of tweaks and then export them as a Quicktime movie and then compress to .flv using Squeeze.

My questions/problems:

1) In MPEG Streamclip, which Codec is best for turning .VOBs (224 MPEG-2, 720x576, 4:3, 25fps, 4.10Mbps + audio) into a compatible format for Final Cut? I assume it needs to be turned into a .mov but not sure which codec or how to tweak the settings appropriately. The way I'm doing it, I'm turning a 2.5GB file into a 22GB file and that can't be right.

2) It's an hour-long presentation with very little movement by the camera and very little by the presenter as well. I was hoping to have a nice little file at the end of this but I'm having trouble getting the file size down. Any thoughts on best practices with this scenario would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Max

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: .VOB to .MOV to FCP to .MOV to .FLV ...Help please...
on Dec 19, 2008 at 11:27:36 am

1. Try the Apple ProRes codec
2. What flv settings in squeeze are you using?

Return to posts index

Max Fancher
on Dec 19, 2008 at 6:15:17 pm

Thanks Daniel.

1) On apple's forum, I found that people were recommending using the "Apple DV - PAL" codec (it is pal footage). I tried that and it worked MUCH better... smaller file size after the demuxing and it went into FCP without needing to render. Do you think the Apple ProRes is an even better choice?

2) I have been using the .flv preset called "VP6_768K" and i tweak it just a little bit.

Thanks again!!

max

Return to posts index

Brian Krist
on Dec 19, 2008 at 7:40:14 pm

Hey Max,

Do you have a target file size for the final .FLV outputs from your web folks? The VP6 codec usually does the trick, but if you're needing really small file sizes, I have a few presets built I could send you way for Squeeze.

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Brian

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Dec 20, 2008 at 12:30:03 am

I'd always choose ProRes over DV but it's debatable when used fro transcoding VOBs, no one could argue that if it's a commercial quality DVD VOB then ProRes eats DV for breakfast quality-wise

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]