FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorenson Squeeze 5's watch folder leaves my files unprocessed

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dixon
Sorenson Squeeze 5's watch folder leaves my files unprocessed
on Dec 13, 2008 at 11:30:18 pm

Hey, Everybody!

I've recently purchased Sorenson Sqeeze Pro version 5 and have had some trouble with the watch folder feature. I'm trying to encode about 17,000 (seventeen thousand) MOV files into flash files, so I drag several hundred files into the watch folder, start the encode process, and invariably Squeeze processes about one third or half of the files, then stops processing and settles into an unhelpful "watching" mode-- despite the hundreds of files remaining in the watch folder. At that point I've been forced to manually drag the files into the batch window, add encode settings to the batch, and then re-start the compressoin. That approach, however, takes forever and is limited to about 70 files per batch.

I know about the On2 VP6 batch limitation per day and month, so I'm settling for a lesser flash encode with the Sorenson Spark Pro codec. It works ok, though the quality suffers noticeably compared to the On2 VP6 codec. In any case, I don't think that I'm bumping up against this limitation in the scenario I note above.

I have been in touch with a very responsive tech support rep at Sorenson, but we haven't been able to resolve the issue. I've updated my drive permissions and re-installed the latest version of the Squeeze Pro software, among other things. I'm working on a MacBook Pro with OS X version 10.4.11.

Has anybody encountered this before? Do you have any suggestions for resolving the issue? Thanks in advance for your help. I really appreciate it.

Best,
Mark

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Sorenson Squeeze 5's watch folder leaves my files unprocessed
on Dec 14, 2008 at 1:08:29 am

"I know about the On2 VP6 batch limitation per day and month"

That's only a limitation applied by Sorenson, no other Mac encoding application, eg Episode, does this...

That said - it souds like Squeeze it getting hung-up with one of your jobs and that is stalling your process. - Considering the huge number of files you need to process, I'd be looking at a far more enterprise level solution to do the job. Squeeze is quite obviously a (buggy*) desktop only product.

* Use search to see how many other have problems with it

+

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/117/856907

Return to posts index

Mark Dixon
on Dec 14, 2008 at 9:03:58 pm

Does Episode have unlimited watch folders? Or do you need to set up a batch there, too?

Interested,
Mark

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Dec 14, 2008 at 9:20:50 pm

Episode has both batch and watch folders in the latest version. There are no limits to the number of encodes you can do in a certain period of time but there might be a limit to the number of files each folder or batch can handle at once, I've certainly never reached it. That aside, Episode is a much better encoder than squeeze.

Return to posts index

Mark Dixon
on Dec 15, 2008 at 3:43:58 am

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice! Now I'm a smarter shopper...

Return to posts index

Mark Dixon
on Dec 18, 2008 at 5:13:12 pm

I finally figured it out: my filenames are too long. Apparently Sorenson Squeeze used to limit file sizes to about 32 characters. They fixed this in a recent release, but did not extend the fix to their watch folder algorithm. As a result, the watch folder simply ignored all files with names longer than 32 characters.

I tested this by setting up the watch folder filled with untouched files, then changed a few filenames so that they were less than 33 characters, and the watch folder immediately started processing them.

Sorenson confirmed that it was a bug, and indicated to me that it would take a few months for me to see a fix. In the meantime, if I stick with Squeeze, I'm going to be renaming a few thousand files with the help of a batch renaming program.

That's all. I've got some file renaming to do...

Cheerio,
Mark Dixon

YERT.com - Your Environmental Road Trip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]