Anyone have a preferred workflow going from
Avid to Compressor to DVDSP?

Thanks,

M. Perillo

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Avid to Compressor to DVDSP
on Dec 14, 2008 at 3:41:01 am

Is the Avid on a PC or Mac? If on a Mac, can't you export a self contained clip and bring it into commpressor? If on a PC you can export out a self contained QT and make sure you have the AVID codecs loaded on the Mac.

Help?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Michael Perillo
on Dec 14, 2008 at 6:08:01 pm

Rich,

Sorry. I should've posted all the details.

It's a Mac Avid. It's a 12:00 project originating from 4:3 anamorphic DVCAM footage, intending to be viewed SD widescreen.

I exported a QT from the Avid using the native compression. Brought it into Compressor, hoping to do a better job than just going directly to DVDSP and letting
it do all the work.

So far all the resulting DVD (using a variety of Compressor DVD presets) have been poor. Granted, I'm screening the end result on a plasma screen, widescreen SD, but I did a similar project last year (bypassing Compressor) and the results were satisfactory.

I've posted this scenario elsewhere hoping to hear about any tips or tweaks that I can try. Overall color and motion is OK, but the overall compression looks a bit jaggy.

Michael Perillo

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Dec 16, 2008 at 3:41:42 am

We pretty much use 6.2 CBR exclusively in compressor and BitVice when we want a great encode. But all the Anamorphic stuff on standard DVDs looks pretty jaggy on widescreen LCD's. However, we just got a new DVD player with a pretty decent upconverter so it smoothed it out pretty good. Results will vary.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]