FORUMS: list search recent posts

Arrrrrrghhhh!!! Trying to convert HD to SD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Campbell
Arrrrrrghhhh!!! Trying to convert HD to SD
on Dec 7, 2008 at 11:10:38 pm

You know, things normally never work for me the first time, so why would playing around with Compressor be any different? Here's what I'm trying to do:

Convert 1080p, 23.98 to NTSC (720x480), 29.97 interlaced with lower field dominance.

I started screwing around with Compressor last night on a whim trying to convert this, but it WORKED! Now I can't remember what I did. Every combination of Compressor settings I'm trying now is failing miserably. I'm trying to convert this footage so that I can drop it into a FCP SD timeline with the following sequence settings:

720x480
Pixel aspect ratio NTSC CCIR 601
Lower field dominance
29.97 timebase

Man, I almost flipped when I dropped my test conversion into the timeline and it looked GREAT! I didn't take notes and I don't remember what I did now. Bah!!!! Can someone help me out?? Some folks on the forums here have suggested using Nattress Standard Converter, but I'm telling you I nailed this sucker last night. Please, please...

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Arrrrrrghhhh!!! Trying to convert HD to SD
on Dec 8, 2008 at 8:10:46 am

This is something you can do within FCP. I suggest posting the question on the FCP forum.

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Dec 8, 2008 at 4:28:15 pm

Actually, according to the FCP gurus, it's not. Due to the fact that I'm dealing with two different frame rates, everyone's been telling me to NOT use FCP to downconvert my HD stuff.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Dec 8, 2008 at 4:53:40 pm

Ummm.

Ok

Have a look at this and see if it's any help

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/992254

Although compressor will be able to do it I think there are better ways.

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Dec 14, 2008 at 9:33:24 pm

I may just be stating the obvious here but if you've successfully converted this in Compressor, why don't you just look in your History pane to find your completed job? Once you locate it your previous conversion, you drag the historical job to your batch window and voilĂ , there you have all your settings again. Double click your job settings in your batch window and you can view whatever chance settings you made in the inspector pane.

Good Luck.

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Dec 15, 2008 at 3:59:34 pm

Hi, Brian. I did see my freakishly lucky conversion job in the history pane, but wasn't aware that you could drag it to the batch window to recreate it. I was seeing what the properties of the converted clip were, but that wasn't helping. This is exciting news, indeed. I can't wait to get home and try it (and hope like hell it's still in my history panel...I've done so many since then trying to recreate that magic)

Anyone who feels the need to say to me "Next time, RTFM!"...yeah, go ahead. (In my defense, that's a long manual)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]