FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need to compress 2 hour video into a DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anderson Black
I need to compress 2 hour video into a DVD
on Nov 26, 2008 at 8:46:00 pm

Has anybody done this and did they get relatively good quality? What compression settings did you use. I have a two hour .mov file.

I would really appreciate the help. I'm not sure what settings to use in Sorensen Squeeze or DVD it or perhaps even AVID Xpress where I edited the clip. thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: I need to compress 2 hour video into a DVD
on Nov 26, 2008 at 10:35:49 pm

Yes, I've done it plenty of times and the quality has been as good as could be expected.

Quality is subjective and firmly based on the quality of your source, whatever that is.

The basic settings you need are determined by a mathematical calculation. Amount of space available and the amount of stuff you have.

When you say "I have a two hour .mov file" it's about as useful as saying "I have a 2 gallon plastic bag" - I need to know what's in your plastic bag. A .MOV can be made up of any one of 30 or 40 different codecs, if not more each of those codecs could be at anything between 100Kb/s to 100Mb/s

Return to posts index

Anderson Black
on Nov 27, 2008 at 12:22:39 am

Also I compressed using Sorensen's Mpg2 DVD NTSC setting but for some reason DVDIT doesn't import the .m2a audio file, it only imports the video. It generates this warning: The imported media does not belong to this category group.

Anybody had this problem?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 27, 2008 at 10:48:01 am

Why not just use DVDIT to do the transcoding?

Return to posts index

Anderson Black
on Nov 27, 2008 at 12:15:49 pm

hey Daniel that's exactly what I did. Strange enough the first encoding I did out of Sorensen the file was a total of 6.7G and DVDIT gave the project as 2.87G over the limit.

I ecoded again in Sorensen and came out with a file with a 3.47G size but DVD It still said it was 2.87G over the limit. Technically I don't understand how this is possible.

Anyway I just went in my Project Settings in DVDit, tweaked the numbers as far as I could to get just under the limit Min 2000kbs, Target 4800kbs and max 8000kbs and I'm good to go.
Thanks though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]